Tore down Power lines? Am I liable for damage?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Redhead express, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Next time call the Police. You won’t get a ticket. Sure you didn’t take out a pole? How much damage can a wire do? Boss sounds like an Idiot. Bad partner in crime. Lol.

alds Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    depends on what kind of wire it is. Phone service lines just snap really easy, but if you get a cable line or one of those big phone trunk lines, they can be strong enough to pull a pole down.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree. Usually there’s a steel cable running with electric wires for support. I got hung up once at a delivery. Got there early about 1:00 AM. Wires went over Cab, but wouldn’t clear Trailer. Called Cops, Electric Co. came out. Had to drop the trailer. It was private property under construction. Big mess, but could have been worse. No ticket though, since it was low.

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The utilities are still fighting when the stakes are huge.

AT&T fiber optic and our insurance denied the 20K claim [10K in repairs and $10K in lost data fees] as it was a trucks allowed street.

They retaliated with 'Arbitration' and offered a 50/50 split.

After consulting with the insurance sorcerers and arbitration wizzards the insurance decided the settle at 50/50 as the 'experts' felt the current arbitration trends could make them responsible for the whole #20K.

6. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Yes you are liable..probably should have stayed on the scene cause it's ultimately on you no matter what your boss said. Someone above said it's a felony. It is not, at least in my state, unless you cause physical injury to another person or can be proven you caused extensive damage intentionally..doesn't look like you met any of those criteria.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Stay on scene, get a police report, turn in to insurance agent and gets repairs.
    Leave scene with a torn up trailer with no plausible explanation why, insurance will pay 0%.

TB John and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I've seen power poles leaning outward from close to curb setting. Maybe she hit the top or something.

9. Joyce's Volvo

Joyce's Volvo Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I hauled lots of over dimensional loads in ky , last info on legal wire height is 21' primary and 17' on secondary roads. Any thing lower than that puts the utility company liable for damages .of course we are limited to 15' high permitted load on certain roads.

10. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Your “boss” just screwed you over because he was trying to save his insurance in case claim went on his policy (given that you are some sort of o/o I guess operating under “bosses” authority). That way he came out like nothing happened, you ended up with a tore up trailer that you have to pay for, even though from what you are saying it was not your liability. Now, if the trailer is yours, you will probably burb for it. If it’s his trailer TELL HIM TO CALL HIS INSURANCE.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.