Toronto area local work

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Peplow, Jan 30, 2023.

1. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

40 min drive one way is what i do now right now . I was looking at a 1 hr drive to tim’s in guelph if I got the job but it is what it is . I thought about doing store deliveries for tim’s but then I remembered how small and tight some of their stores are and thought do i really want to deal with that and all the idiot drivers on a daily basis.I like were i’m at but the money sucks average pay is $25 a hr if it was higher i wouldn’t even look for a job . We just found out the company is now paying for our benefits which saves a single guy about $1000 a year now

Only problem i see with moving up north is depending on where you move is pay or lack of driving jobs . Timmins seems like a nice place to be and i see trucking adds all the time . I would love to move up there and buy a small place with a couple acres . My only problem is I bought my house with my mom back in 2008 at 22 and would either have to sell or buy her out which i don’t see happening anytime soon

I heard on the news a few months back that a lot on people from ontario were moving to Alberta or the east cost like Nova scotia because of the high cost . Then you have Folks from B.C. who can’t afford house also now moving up to Alberta . unfortunately will not be long before all of canada will be unaffordable .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Well take a look at MLS for the Edmonton area or wherever in Alberta.

Lots of affordable places still. I live 20 minutes east of nisku AB near a small town of New Sarepta. If you stay east of highway 21 in this area the price drops rapidly. West is more developed average estates that cost more .

Property near me sold last fall for 235,000$. Older home, several out buildings sitting on 3 acres. Of course some updating would be needed but that can be done as cash flow allows

We bought 7 acres 12 years ago with a good size house not in a subdivision..actually zones farm by the county and it was for the same amount we sold our house in Beaumont Alberta for. Basically transfers the mortgage at the time.

Wages are alot higher here in trucking as well depending on what you chose to do.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You wouldn't happen to also be a mechanic by chance?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  5. Albertaflatbed

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Sadly no

Just a mechanically inclined driver.

Used to be an owner/operator....cost of repairs on a new truck made my head spin...wish I was a mechanic just so I could save money...might not have sold the trucks

6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A mechanic I know has an eerily similar story to yours. Was just curious if you were him lol.

I lived in that town for a few years as well. Nice place but its gotten a bit too crowded for my liking so I moved.

7. Albertaflatbed

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Yeah I'm on 503 just off Joe Lake Road.

Moved to put the boys in a small school

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    If you bought in 08 you would be better off staying put. Don't forget a lot of time the cost of living up north is significantly higher. The house/property/taxes are cheaper but the day to day living expenses are higher. Plus you have to be honest about hobbies etc. I know a few guys that moved north to get out from mortgage debt but they're always running back to Southern Ontario on a regular basis because their hobbies are non existent up where they bought. Plus if you have to run long haul because there's little local/ regional work then have you gained a whole lot? Don't just look at cheap house prices.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's a nice area out there. I was looking at property in Beaver and Strathcona counties last year. Found a couple nice places but ultimately decided that it was too much to commute 45 minutes one way to work. One place I looked at was just east of 21. It had potential but needed a fair amount of work and they weren't willing to budge on the price unfortunately.

10. Albertaflatbed

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Yeah that's a longer commute. My wife commutes to the landfill in Ryley out Hwy 14. 75 km one way and about 45 minutes.

But awesome pay and benefits as they have difficulty hiring an hour out of Edmonton.

She's a parts advisor to the mechanics on at the landfill. All Edmontons garbage goes out there

11. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    There is a few of us hanging in this area. We moved out here in 09.
    I have 2 buses running on joe lake road and 510 area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.