Total Dispatch Service

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by papanuge, Sep 19, 2010.

1. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    By the way, I pay my ind cont 68% pulling my trailer, 75% pulling their own, and 80% running under their own authority & insurance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    If Turbo dispatch is related to turbo transit, RUN far & fast.

4. abcofcric

abcofcric Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Lexington, K Y

What type of freight do u haul? are u hiring any O/Os?

5. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    We went through the drill of trying to find a good dispatch service mid last year. We started with D&R. Rick was very experienced and knowledgable. We did not work with his daughter. They were both full so they assigned us to a guy they have in the south, forgot his name. Very nice folks but they are just surfing the IT and were actually presenting us with lower rates than we were negotiating for the same loads off IT so we never really got going with them.

We talked to a guy in the northwest but that seemed to shaky as he was just starting. Name withheld as a courtesy to him as his future growth.

Then we were excited to get going with Truckers Dispatch in Ohio. Joe Myers seemed like a good guy and was very knowledgable. He said he had some direct customers as well. As we were trying to get started with him, he dropped off the face of the earth for 10 days and finally got back and told us he had been out sick. I believed him but I just couldn't entrust the financial wellness of our trucks and little business to someone who didn't have backup or something in place for the customers that depended on it.

Never really spent any time working with the dispatch services but hope our trial experience helps anyone making a decision on it.

6. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    Is there really a market for this type of service? I just couldn't see giving up 10% of the rate just for somebody to find me loads. What else do they do? Heck, maybe I need to put drivers in both my trucks and start a dispatch service!! Sold freight and dispatched for many years for a BFI!

7. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    If all they're doing is putting an O/O and a broker together then they're grossly over paid @ 10 points. The village idiot can subscibe to load boards and read them. If they're doing the faxing/emailing of paperwork back and forth, doing load/rate confirmations, doing a credit check, invoicing loads (that they booked), collecting over due accounts (that they booked) and guaranteeing payment of everything that they book (have some skin in the game) then I am still listening.

bbblotliz Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A good dispatch service watching the boards 8 hours a day, should, in theory, increase your bottom line. No telling what you miss out on while you're driving down the highway. If they could improve on what you're doing 10 cents a mile or so better would a 10% cut be worth it? I would think so. Unfortunately we're talking about trucking here.. and from the looks of it there's a lot of shyster dispatch service companies out there with zero direct freight or contacts who're only interested in a cut of anything...

BigBadBill and bbblotliz Thank this.
  9. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    :biggrin_25511::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

10. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    We do dry van and flat. We have a couple people in the office working loads but also allow our drivers to book loads. They seem to be liking this.

We are different in that I strongly believe that if you have to average 3000 miles per week to earn you are doing it wrong.

We are holding off right now on hiring while we get a couple things lined up but email me and we can talk about what you are looking for and give you more details. Things change fast in this business.

bill@farm2fleet.com

abcofcric Thanks this.
  11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hmm, a dispatcher that is NO forced dispatch. Wow, glad he came along with his single post self promotion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.