TP Link mobile router

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Veteran driver, May 9, 2022.

1. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    6C43B74C-3CB2-44A8-A957-92A4DD8C109F.jpeg

Does anybody have one of these mobile routers? I got one to get a better signal when I’m in a bad area but I haven’t quite figured out how to work the thing. The instructions are kinda vague. I’ve got 2 cell phones so I’m guessing this device can be used as a hotspot for one of the phones so I can get a signal on the other phone when the native hotspot won’t work.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

This device does not boost cell phone signal in areas with poor quality cell phone service. You would need something like a WeBoost or cell phone booster to sniff out the weak cell phone signal and boost it for your devices in the truck. This devices plugs into an ethernet jack (RJ45, it looks like a large landline phone jack) through which internet is already present. Then this box throws the internet signal out over wi-fi wirelessly for you to use. It doesn't provide internet, it takes internet you already have and provides it to other devices over wi-fi. Your cell phones can become hotspots, unless your carrier prohibits that function. Owning this box is not going to give you better internet that you have before you own this box.

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You would get better connection by using a cell phone on the ATT or Verizon network. There are companies that connect to the ATT or the Verizon network which mean you have a good connection almost anywhere you go. Other cell phone providers like Sprint/T-Mobile, Metro, Criket, etc usually only have good signal in cities and along major interstates.

Visible is a service of Verizon. They use the Verizon network but they only charge $25 per month for unlimited everything if you use the Party Pay. US Mobile connects to either ATT or Verizon and you can have unlimited everything for $30 per month.

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  5. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I have this exact router, but as others have said it does not have its own internet connection and won’t boost your cell service. I primarily use it to create a private secure Wi-Fi network for my devices when I’m staying in a hotel.

tscottme and Veteran driver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.