TQL Data Breach!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scooter Jones, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Unfortunately yes.
    The problem I have is now some hacker has 100’s or 1000’s of them to play with. Where as before they would have had to go find them one at a time.
    I never would give TQL any banking info for the reason Joe said earlier.

What Are the Dangers of Giving Out Your EIN?

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    If you did ACH they would have routing number and account number. I’m sure they could get tour name off the W9. Have your email, everything.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I figured eventually someone would say this. I thought about it too but I'm set up with nearly 100 brokers. Just about all of them have the same info. Many of them I want to keep working with. TQL I could drop for other reasons.

PE_T and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Remember 2017?

"The Equifax data breach may be one of the most serious data breaches to date. Hackers got ahold of birthdates, names, Social Security numbers, driver’s licence numbers, addresses, and credit card numbers. Current estimates suggest that this hack has affected 143 million Americans—nearly half of the population. The combination of banking information and personal identifying data makes this breach a treasure trove for identity thieves."

6wheeler and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Through the years I've experienced 3 American Express Card number thefts. Someone got my card number and bought a Chevy engine in Miami, FL. Another time someone bought 6 laptops in Chicago and the last time was someone purchased cell phone mobile minutes Seattle, WA. Each time I was contacted by AMEX fraud dept and the charges were reversed immediately.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I have only hauled one load for TQL and that was over 2 yrs ago. I am not setup on ACH with them, I always go the paper check route unless I just have to setup ACh.

However, since I am paranoid about something like this, I went ahead and called the credit reporting agencies. He put a fraud alert on my SS number. He said it would go to all 3 reporting agencies.

He told me he could not put a fraud alert or credit freeze on my EIN #. Only on my SS#. Guess I will just have to check my reports periodically to make sure nothing new pops up on the EIN#. I don't have and never have had any credit using the EIN#.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I had to do my own credit freeze. I didn't rely on someone else that may or may not get the job done. Probably not.

I did it online. Myself. With all 3 bureaus.

Google has the links. And it don't take long.

PE_T and xsetra Thank this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

How did you find out about the fraud? Automatic bank alerts when there’s a transaction? Checking your statement?

I pay for cash for most items when I’m OTR, except for Walmart or purchases over $50 or $75. I’ve always imagined that a cashier can be video recording your bank card when you hand it to them over the counter, especially if you are at a restaurant and you hand them your card.

10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    AMEX fraud division called. The software these companies use is very high tech when it comes to flagging purchases that are out of the norm.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve read somewhere online that credit cards are monitored more closely than debit cards, and it makes sense because it’s their money!

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.