TQL is playing nasty

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Eska, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    What's sketchy about it without a rate confirmation for 2nd load it's hard to charge Tonu charge if equipment isn't used and with rate confirmation you can call and confirm 2 nd pu from the customer.Thats why I wouldn't sign and return the rate confirmation for the first load without a rate confirmation for the second load was in my hand.And I would make that clear to the broker while we were talking.

FoolsErrand and whoopNride Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If you don't get the dispatch sheets on load # 1 and load # 2 you do not have the loads. If they give you the dispatch sheet on load # 1 but give excuses and keep putting off sending one over for load # 2 then you are about to end up doing the first load and finding out you don't have the 2nd one and never did.

I have booked back to back loads from TQL like that but only when they immediately sent over the dispatch sheets after the "confirms" on both loads. They can send over a dispatch sheet pretty much simultaneously with the "confirm". When they don't do that I consider the load suspect. And by the same token if that dispatch sheet doesn't come over within about 5 minutes I actively start looking for another load after replying to their confirmation that I am doing so.

That usually gets it sent over quickly. If not, book something else. I don't even know why they call their rate confirmation a rate confirmation. Nothing is confirmed until you get that second email with the dispatch sheet. They're the only brokerage I ever saw with such a system.

And that's another thing. I have no patience for brokers who can't send a rate con within 5 minutes of a verbal commit during normal business hours. I don't know why anyone would wait 15 minutes a half hour or longer. I won't and I'll tell them as much.

Dino soar, whoopNride, TallJoe and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    What rolling coal said!!

4 pieces of paper. And even then you could get bamboozled all the way down to some lame TONU compared to what was supposed to have happened.

But yes once you have rate con AND dispatch I suppose you could call a shipper to confirm. But all the shipper can do is confirm that the load is good to go as of you calling them! LOL.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I haven't been screwed with a dispatch sheet. Not yet anyway. Lame TONU.. yeah had some of those before. But if that agent is pressing you to book it you should take that opportunity to press for a more legitimate $250 or $500 or whatever amount TONU you deem necessary in the event it cancels as terms.

6. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Do you negotiate your tonu/detention charges when you book or when you do your packet?

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I found that there is not much too negotiate on the packet, kind of either you sign it or not, very general terms. The specifics are to be clarified on the contract addendum, which is the rate confirmation. I found that they don't like handwritten staff on it, they rather change the whole rate confirmation and resend it.
    It is not about TQL specific but general/common brokerages I dealt with so far.

Scott72 Thanks this.
  8. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Ok. Just seems tedious to have to go over those charges with every single load you do.

9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I think it would probably be rare...like for long dead heads at new (to you the driver anyway) shippers or a round trip like the OP on this thread.

Most loads are cut and dry.

Scott72 Thanks this.
  10. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I really don't understand what your your trying to say in your reply.But if a broker is offering a trip such as Miami I'm not going unless the rate justifies going down there.Now if he's sales it that he's got a load coming out I would do it for a lesser rate..Can you lose sure that's a price of doing business.But I like to lessen the chances.A rate confirmation for the load out where I can call the shipper with my eta and any other information I need.with no rate confirmation or dispatch you have no leverage if it doesn't pan out.now no you can't win them all but you can try to protect against losing very often.In most cases if they send a rate confirmation and dispatch it's a good load if they don't and you just blindly take off your not protecting your interests.

larry2903 and whoopNride Thank this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So with TQL it is not enough to get rate confirmation, you need dispatch confirmation, which confirms what should have been confirmed already with the rate confirmation? In other words, rate confirmation needs to be confirmed with dispatch confirmation? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I just want to know these little intricacies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.