TRAC Lease vs Commericial Finacing? How do write offs differ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Atlanticus trucking, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I’m in the process of buying a dually for hotshotting. What came up is TRAC lease vs commercial financing. A 5 year TRAC lease is coming out to the same monthly price as 6 year financing. The dealership is saying the benefits of a TRAC lease have to do with taxes. When i look up writing off a trac lease vs a financed vehicle everything seems to point to financed vehicles being better for writing off due the amount of miles driven. Am i missing anything?

I’m reading that with a TRAC lease you write off the full monthly payment, which is 1150 a month or 13800 a year.

For a financed vehicle I’m reading that you write off either expenses or you take the standard deduction which is .54 cents a mile. If we look at the standard deduction at 15k miles a month this is 8100 a month, or 97,200 a year. Can you really write off more then the vehicle is worth? I feel like I’m missing something.

Can anybody shed some light onto TRAC lease vs finacing when it comes to pros and cons of the two options? Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Best to move this question to the Hotshot forum.

4. Ryan423

Ryan423 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2016
    California
    Debt is dumb. You're going to pay the bank interest so you can get a write off? Pay cash or don't do it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I think someone explained this to you that doesn’t have a clue. And do not call it write offs or deductions. Both options are business expenses that reduce net income. The added benefit of financing a vehicle s that you can take depreciation, further reducing your net income.
    The decision to finance or buy comes down to how much capital you have and how long or intensive the use of the vehicle will be.
    There is nothing wrong with financing a vehicle that will make you money. If you’re Credit is decent where you can get a rate of less than 6%, you can’t beat that.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    The way my accountant explained it to me is that the lease payments are fully deductible under your business entity whereas only the principal and not the interest is deductible on a purchase/finance. You do however get the added benefit of depreciating the equipment over 5 years on a purchase. If you were paying less per month on a lease, that would seem to be the better way to go since you also presumably wouldn't have to put up much of a down payment, but since you say the lease payments are the same because of the term, it sounds like either way works about the same for you.

7. *Five-0*

*Five-0* Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Hey...I'm over here!
    You basically have a choice between using the IRS Standard Deduction or actual expenses. If you are taking the IRS standard mileage deduction of .54 cents/mile, that precludes you from separately expensing all other vehicle related expenses. Lease payment, depreciation, fuel, maintenance - none of that can be written off if you use the standard deduction.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Best to actually ask his accountant.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Why would I cash out my investments that are earning a higher rate of return than what the interest amount on a loan is?

roshea Thanks this.
  10. Nowhere to go but up.

Nowhere to go but up. Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019

11. Nowhere to go but up.

Nowhere to go but up. Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Can you write off more than the vehicle is wort?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.