Traction Control Issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by billandlori, Feb 19, 2015.

1. billandlori

billandlori Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Stratford, Ontario, Canada
    Hey folks,

My 2004 Western Star is equipped with traction control and ABS. For quite a while the tractor ABS light will come on when the truck is started in cold weather. After driving for a while, if I shut off the truck, and restart, the light will go out. It doesn't come on in the warm weather.

Today the engine kept cutting power and I could hear a relay clicking away each time it would cut power. If I had my foot resting on the clutch it didn't act up. The ABS light was on. It had me sweating for a couple miles and then it just started running normal again. I hate these intermittent problems lol!!

Any ideas on where to look? I wouldn't mind ditching the traction control as its a real pain when you need to spin the tires a bit in deep snow and mud.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. billandlori

Sep 5, 2010
    Also, the other day while I was loading, the traction control light came on a couple times just sitting idling. The light comes on when you loose traction.

Bill

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The traction light will come on and usually flash when you lose traction as an indicator that it is doing its thing. That is normal. Your other issues sound like intermittent electrical power loss to the cab. Start with the basics. Check all your battery connections including ground at the batteries and the cab.

billandlori Thanks this.
  5. billandlori

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks, but that's the funny part, I was parked with the brakes on when the light flashed a couple times!!

Bill

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You'll have to see if the ABS or engine is logging any codes and go from there.

billandlori Thanks this.
  7. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Do you have an ABS blink code switch? It may be in "DYNO" mode. I drive an 04 binder and that happened to me. had to press down 3 times on blink code switch to take it out of that mode..but my traction control light was on and off while driving and parked when it was in that mode

billandlori Thanks this.
  8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Not familiar with the traction control,but the abs could be a build up of crud. With all the salt and sand I've been through,probably be May before the truck is salt free.

billandlori Thanks this.
  9. billandlori

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks Freightshaker!! The shop I take it to had been doing some diagnosis on it a couple weeks ago, it has been acting funny every now and then since then. I'll check that out as well.

Bill

10. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    If you remove the relay for the ABS, it wont act up, in a pinch.

11. billandlori

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks Cetane, I think that's what I'm going to do for now.

Bill

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.