Tractor First, Right?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by HandLogger, Feb 15, 2017.

1. HandLogger

HandLogger Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2017
    The Berkshires
    After getting so many TR links returned during my internet searches for a reliable used tractor/engine combination, I knew this was the place to come to for reliable advice...so I asked permission to join and Sheila welcomed me on board.

I've already posted to to the Welcome Wagon board, so I'll get into a bit more of the specifics here...We own and manage forest land in the Berkshires and, presently, we're searching for a good used tractor and flatbed trailer to move our equipment around with.

My research is telling me, pretty clearly, that a pre-2003 CAT or Cummins power plant is a pretty good investment -- especially the yellow 3406X or red N14 engine types -- but I wanted to ask the board directly.

If I find a decent looking tractor in an advertisement, for example, what are the right questions to ask?

Most of the ad's tell you whether it's a Pete or a KW and which engine it has under the hood, but most of the good looking tractors are located well south of here, where the land is relatively flat -- and really flat compared to where we are.

What I envision is a tractor-trailer combo that can be used regularly in the Berkshires and can still make the long trip to Florida, my home state, when the need arises.

As I already mentioned, the CAT 3406X engines seem to be very well thought of, but If you were going to do flatbed work in an eastern mountainous setting, what would you be looking for and what questions would you ask the folks selling their tractors?

Thank you for your time...

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

What would you be needing to run to Florida with your truck for?
    Dragging logging equipment around the berkshires.... Gonna be specced totally different than running the coast to Florida.

Is hiring out the trucking not an option?

rank and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. HandLogger

Feb 15, 2017
    The Berkshires
    We like to buy equipment from back home because it's generally in better shape down there. Just considering the salt and sand issue alone up here, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

Other than hiring a driver, which we do have good access to, renting equipment has become too expensive. There are simply too many occasions where we need to move our stuff these days -- and we see that continuing for years to come.

ADDED LATER:
    I get what you're saying about spec's for an OTR tractor versus a flatbed tractor, but I guess we wouldn't want a tractor that's such a beast that you could never use it for a long trip. I hope that makes some sense?

rank Thanks this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    It makes sense: I'd figure you probably want a lowboy not a flatbed:skidders, excavators, etc are a lot larger than are gonna be legal weight or size on a flatbed.

Might be good to split the goals: get a truck that will move the tools around the area you operate them that is specced properly for that job.
    Hire out the distance work: figuring you don't buy that equipment on a Friday needing it on the jobsite Monday morning to work.

From what you're saying: it sounds like you are not super familiar with what kind of truck you need. Would you say you have experience building/speccing trucks for specific jobs? Or that you see it as a means to an end and don't need to be wrist deep in every decision that's made to get the equipment on the ground and working?

TripleSix and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If I read between the lines correctly, your Florida runs will be infrequent. If this is the case, it will be far better to get a tractor that can pull hills like a beast and if you decide to run it to Florida every now and then live with the slower speed.

For hills get an 18 speed. If you will do a lot of steep off-road work then get Differential Locks in addition to the Interaxle Differential Lock.

HandLogger, TripleSix and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  7. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    What all do you have for equipment? And what's the heaviest piece you own?

Do you have any wheeled equipment you run ring chains on? Those will punch right through an aluminum deck. It sucks to take off four sets of chains just to float it.

Anything on steel tracks suck to run up a steel ramp. You could look at stepdecks, use the upper deck for a skid steer, or fuel tanks/attachments. Then the lower deck for equipment.

I would not want to load a skidder up steep ramps on a tall flat without a spotter.

HandLogger, rank and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Stout pulling off-road mainly truck? Minimum 500 HP, minimum 13 speed (RTLO18913A) and something in the 3.70:1 rear ends. If you can get an 18, that's great, if not, get the big 13. It should walk up the steepest grades in the Appalachians. Pre 2003 will be the C15 Cat, single turbo (good choice). For the 3406E, You would have to go 2000 or older.

On the door jam of the truck, it will tell you the engine serial number and the transmission serial number and the rear end gear ratio. If you are not sure, list the specs here and post a picture.

9. HandLogger

Feb 15, 2017
    The Berkshires
    Thanks for the replies, fellas. Once we find something that comes close to what I've read, I'll post here with specific questions.

TripleSix: Any specific thoughts on what questions should be asked about the history of either the C15 Single Turbo or the 3406E engines? I'd also like your thoughts on the specified weights of the rears.

10. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.