Tractor Specs for Tank Work

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Gliderpilot, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Gliderpilot

Gliderpilot Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2013
    New Jersey
    Hello Gang,
    New to the forum.
    Looking for some info on popular tractor setups for tanker work. Been away from tank work for 15yrs and interested in getting back into it as an owner operator..Alot has changed in the industry but i'm sure the basics still apply.Some companies like QC request a 19,500 limit full of fuel, 13 2" max height...with pump and compressor
    So what are some recommendations? I drove a company owned Pete 379 back then with a 350 cat 9 spd and liked it a lot,but did not have a pump or compressor.most work was customer air ,pump or gravity feed..
    I'm primarily interested in staying local /regional in the East.
    My experience is local and regional tank 91'-97' the rest is local LTL Van and some linehaul double trailers as a company driver

some questions are:

optimal Wheelbase? 250" seems enough to me but I need room for APU and pump
    preferred engines and trans?
    Suspension?
    Tractor brands.?
    Where do I draw the line on the mileage of a used truck.?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions,

GP

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    As far as the aux compressor goes my affiliate owner leased to Quality Carriers bought Macks with high capacity compressors and no aux compressors were needed .

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Matlack had the same setup on their R Models. Dealt w/ a company in Ohio I think the company name was Ross to get the re-man replacements.

You could pick up a spotted trailer w/ a blown brake diaphram and be able to supply enough air to release the brakes & drive off. Used to get lease operators a PTO powered Vee compressor, Emglo? or something like that from Girard Equipment.

First question the OP need to ask is "Does the trans have places to mount two PTOs?" I recall hearing people saying some fleet trucks had the PTO openings deleted. the PTO must be matched to the implement. A pump runs slower than a compressor so the PTO would be under driven for the pump and over driven for a compressor. Allows you to fast idle each implement for max performance at the least fuel cost.

Also seen PTO driven vacuum pumps, bulk blowers and 440V alternators for the electric pumps in Cyro trailers. Had to throttle the puppy dog against the govenor to spin the alternators.

Unless fleets have changed alot, tankers like higher fifth wheels too.

Specs used to be 53" - 54" so a Lo-Pro 51" will have drainage and axle weight problems.

Tankers max out at 42' - 45' long so you don't have any extra to meet bridge and axle weights; you can't slide the tandems!

Truemac and RickG Thank this.
  5. starbulk

starbulk Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Elliottville, KY
    If you are going to run out of New Jersey doing tank work,chances areyou are going to be running some of those mountains quite often in PA, MD, and NY... I'd say get something with some balls to it, 500HP and a 13spd would be nice. I like 244" because no questions when I go into Canada. I have a 435hp with 13spd on a 244" WB pulling a pneumatic, I cry when I get into the hills fully loaded, but everywhere else the truck has plenty of power and I never have a problem with weights, and despite being a Western Star, with tank and full of fuel I am at about 29,300lb tare.

6. Gliderpilot

Jun 13, 2013
    New Jersey
    http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4202191..........

Dillon's older trucks seem to be spec'd out nicely. I would hope being fleet maintained makes them more desirable. I really don't want to get anything with more than 450K and certainly don't need to do an engine OH my first year out....500hp is nice for the hills. but I think you can survive on 450.Whats this WB issue with Canada?. Never had to go there before but I can imagine I will be sometime in the future.
    GP

7. starbulk

starbulk Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Elliottville, KY
    Pulling tank shouldn't have too much problem with the wheelbase in the eastern part, I've heard that the western provinces is pretty strict on wheelbase restrictions. There are length restrictions though up there, and if you do ever plan on pulling anything but tank, it might limit you. I just eliminate it with going what their regulations state.

8. Gliderpilot

Jun 13, 2013
    New Jersey
    I Googled Canadian truck length regs.and came up with an interesting table of limits. 244" wheelbase is it. Ont,Que,Yukon not regulated so your ok with a 250.everywhere else lookout.it gets confusing and then try converting it from metres to feet.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Depends on what kind of tractor, your desired turning radius, ride quality, and most importantly, weight distribution. Tankers tend to be heavy on the drives.

13 or 18 speed. There is no substitute for being able to put the RPMs at the optimal place in the power band, regardless of road speed.

Air ride. I like the way the Kenworth AG400 and AG800 systems ride. I am NOT a fan of Freightliner's Airliner suspension.

For tanker work, a lightweight tractor is important. The companies I've worked for have done well with Peterbilts and Kenworths, spec'd with weight savings in mind.

Depends on your budget, and how long you're willing to run before you sell or overhaul.

Since you want to pull a tanker, pay particular attention to the differentials and the fifth wheel assembly. Tanker work tends to place a lot of stress on those components.

10. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Resurrecting an old thread as I am in the same situation as OP. Whats a good wheelbase for tanker work? I care about ride quality but also being able to maneuver in some of the god awful, made for cars chem plants.

11. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    My current truck is a 270" Pete 379 EXHD. The one in my avatar was 250". Despite the longer wb it maneuvers surprisingly well, I haven't been unable to get in anywhere I normally go that is tight. The only downside is that some customers have the shorter scale and I have to drop the trailer to get weighed.

ulenie and Orange713 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.