trailer choice

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Flying240, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Flying240

Flying240 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    is there a pro or con on using either this or the other trailer? one of them is a regular flatbed or the other is a lowboy.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Depending on what you want to haul.

Assuming they both have the same GVW.

The flatbed has a full with flat deck. The CG of the load will be higher.

The low bed had wheel wells that encroach into the deck area. This will prevent you from carrying some full width freight or certain vehicles. The advantage it has is the deck is lower so the load can be higher.

Personally I prefer the flat bed but you are limited to loads that are about 11 or 12 feet high, depends on deck height and the states.

I have found that the wheel wells get in the way.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    The type of freight you plan on hauling should determine the type of trailer you purchase. When I look at buying equipment I first look at what I plan on hauling and then match equipment that will best meet those needs.

5. jesh

jesh Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Need some help. Anyone got any info on where I can rent a 35 foot trailer in northern ms.

6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Most of the time the low boy will weigh less than the deck over

7. Lawdog800

Lawdog800 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    Detroit, MI
    Low Boy mostly made with 8"C-channel frame vs 12" I beam on deck over. 3 single tire axles instead of tandem Duals. And fenders the fork lift drivers will smash up vs not having to worry about it. I went deck over. Yes it is heavier, but my first load would not have fit between wheel wells. No regrets on deck over

8. Tanhands

Tanhands Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I went Deck Over for the same reasons that have been stated. If you are going to haul cars you are fine but my first load was Water tanks for Construction trucks and they were the same width as my trailer. They would not have fit on the Low Boy. I can't really think of anything besides cars and maybe pipe that a low boy would be better for.

9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    The lowboy will open you up to lite weight double drop/RGN freight, and many types of vehicles that flatbeds, step decks, and deckovers would normally have to turn down due to ramp angle, or height issues.

For the last 10/11 years now we've ran a small fleet of the lowboys like in the second picture you posted. I can count on one hand how many times our fenders caused us to lose a load. On stuff that requires a flat deck we can usually just take our dunnage and block up to meet most Shippers needs.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.