Trailer Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by fragicide, Mar 24, 2023.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Suit yourself, but I don't think disc are as great as most others seem to think. We rent part of our warehouse out to a truck repair outfit, and it seems every time I see a truck come in for disc pad replacement, they usually also end up having to change the rotor and the caliper, and it can be expensive.

We run 3 trailers with 17.5 tires, and never had a issue with stuff getting into the drums. Where are you running? They will brakes faster than a 22.5, but I don't think it has anything to do with trash getting in there. The reason the brakes wear faster is because they are turning faster than a 22.5, and the shoes aren't nearly as big.

Tires are the same way, they wear out way faster than a 22.5. Also, I don't know what tires you are running now, but you'll eventually swap to Continental after you get tired of all the blowouts, or you'll slow down to 60 mph.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I had discs on 17.5 wheels on a flatbed. They use to flat spot my tires when empty.

4. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Doonan parts department is pretty good when I’ve used them previously. I haven’t had the issues you’ve had in my 8 years of owning my 17.5 step. I’d think putting dust covers on would be a far simpler solution (I hate dust covers personally). If I were doing a brake conversion on my step, I’d just order new axles with the correct brakes and verify my ABS controller is compatible. Jack up the frame, roll old axles out, put wheels on new axles and roll them in. It sounds easier than replacing the nailer strips that have to be done to mine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.