Trailer Hell

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Heathar, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Heathar

Heathar Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Last night I picked up a load relay, inspection of trailer before I left. 3 light
    bulbs that weren't working, a bottom right hinge that was broken, tandems that wouldn't slide. I could tell by the weight of the load, where tandems were, it put trailer axels 4-5,000 lbs overweight. I took it to a shop to get fixed. First question if I was pulled over in taking trailer to shop knowing the defects, would I have still gotten tickets? It took a hell of power to get tandems to slide, about 2 hours, not including the time I took trying to slide them. Question 2 because of the weight being heavy, could it cause a jolt to axels that would make them so difficult to slide? The pins would release, the way we finally got it to slide, I had to release brakes, use the hand brake while pin release was being pulled out. This maybe a stupid question, I want to know tho, could the axels break lose, because of the weight and roads conditions with it. This was a person who should not have a CDL, the lack of respect in leaving a trailer that bad without caring about the next driver. I have been playing phone tag with the higher up, to pretty much sway them into firing him. The kicker is, that was was a live load, this trailer should never of been used, those issues shouldn't of happened. Besides the fact the trailer was so low, that it would of came smack down on their frame, my frame wouldn't of cleared it, until I raised it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Taking the trailer to the shop isn't a free pass.... unless you get a decent cop your getting tickets.

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I was told by a Wi state trooper once that they will let slide minor things like a light out, etc. IF you can show them the a DVIR noting the issue. Wouldn't hurt to also note on your logs that you are en route to a shop for repairs.

I agree, the driver that handed that trailer off to you should be fired and publicly stoned. Really irks me when people do that crap.

5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    If any of those bulbs that were out were on the rear of the trailer, especially a turn or brake light, you would have been put out of service.

Heathar Thanks this.
  6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Forgot to say, Of course it all totally depends on the officer and the severity of the violations.

tscottme and Heathar Thank this.
  7. The_Flying_Dutchman

The_Flying_Dutchman Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    Exactly, you can try to explain the situation all you want in the end it is up to the officer to make the call. Which means guys trying to do the right thing can end up getting burnt. But you got to take into account how many guys would lie right through their teeth and say they are "just taking it to the shop" no matter where they are going.

8. The_Flying_Dutchman

The_Flying_Dutchman Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Jesup, Iowa
    When in doubt don't take the trailer. Everybody else can throw a fit but it's not their license that's going to get points.

bigguns, tscottme and Heathar Thank this.
  9. Heathar

Heathar Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Licence plate bulb, left back end side trailer marker, left top front trailer marker

10. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Probably wouldn't have been put OOS for those lights being out. Just really depends on the mood of the officer.

Heathar Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    And yes more weight on the trailer makes it harder to slide the tandems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.