Trailer hit by newbie

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Neverquittrucking228, Sep 27, 2022.

1. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Almost everyone today walks around with a 12 mega pixel camera in their phone.

Use it!

I have convinced my insurance to deny claims when the individual driver took enough pictures to prove the other party was at fault.

Personally I took the frontal picture of a new tractor with a paper temporary in the passenger windshield.

It was just a total shot of the entire tractor and I was able to enlarge it enough to read the carrier's information printed on the temp form...

You want the view of the other driver, skid marks, the over all scene, close ups of the damages but no blood guts or gore.

Pictures of the documents, including the driver's CDL and the tractor registration and the door-sign.

Sometimes the name on the registration is not the carrier, without enough backup you can't prove otherwise.

If the OP continues in this business, this may not be the the only time he can't collect on the damage.

On the other hand this may the best time on the OP's time driving for this lesson to happen.

MartinFromBC, Dino soar and Siinman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Neverquittrucking228

Neverquittrucking228 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Thanks for all the feedback drivers but the driver did in fact admit to hitting my trailer so I went to Great Dane & got an estimate but now I’m waiting on them to do a virtual estimate thru progressive. Also I’m wondering do they pay any extra for wages while my trailer is being repaired?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    what wages?

5. Neverquittrucking228

Neverquittrucking228 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Update: the insurance adjuster called me yesterday informing me that the owner wants to settle this claim outside of insurance & would like for me to give him a call so I did. He said send him the pictures over & the estimate he’ll deposit the money into my account tomorrow. I asked could he send it cashapp or PayPal or Venmo he said no he doesn’t deal with any of them so I ended up sending him my account & routing number so he can make the deposit. Is there any tricks I need to worry about with him making the deposit to my bank account without using a third party. Just Curious! Thanks for you guys help & hopefully this will be resolved shortly

6. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Should be fine. It would be wire transfer

RefMata Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    STOP

GET A CHECK.

8. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I would not take a check or money order. They are to easy to be fake. Had a Cashiers check years ago get cleared in my account and then 3 days later turned out to be fraud and I lost 5K out of the deal. It was a legit check but it was stolen from a bank in. Big scam with the bank employees.

Vampire Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again, get a check, it is better than a bank transfer where you give up your numbers and POOF!!! your account is drained.

GET A CHECK!!

wis bang Thanks this.
  10. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    How do people do business with everyone else outside country? Most use bank wires so this cant be that easy to do. It is also someone that he has met and has information on them. Can't see this being an issue but who knows I guess. I would prefer a bank transfer than anything. If it is a check you better tell them nothing is good for 7-15 days to confirm it has cleared your account.

Vampire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.