Trailer kingpin refurbished

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by xsetra, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    It is rare to have a kingpin brake. I have seen one worn old kingpin break in a terminal yard. I have never seen a welded-up repaired one broke. But they only been doing the kingpin repair service for so many years. Pretty rare repair. Most trailers have other problems with them by the time they need a kingpin.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    One: Thank I pulled on it. Looked funny in the mirror and let off throttle. Caught it on the frame. Have seen a lot of others and suprised the distances some of them made it. But that's not what you asked.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I watched the internet videos of this process. Emailed a couple of the companies with no reply. I haven't decided yet what I'm doing. Looking at buying another trailer and selling mine as is, or getting mine fixed.
    Last couple years I replaced both axles and had the main beams looked at and repaired as needed. All the bushings replaced.. My trailer is in good shape except for the kingpin and the plate is thin.
    Thanks for all the replies.

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    If you want out of it- sell it as is. You'll never get your money back from fixing it up.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I put brakes on a trailer before I sold it. They didn't even look at the brakes...

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes I know. I could never get back the repair/replaced parts costs from this trailer.
    It is a 1998 trailer and always will be.
    I bought a scaler and will peal the rust and old paint off main beams. Repaint and put new reflective paint. Park it for now. I bought a newer aluminum trailer.
    Will keep this one for a spare thru the winter. Just in case. Take to auction in the Spring.
    Thanks for the advice to all.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.