Trailer opinions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by midcon, Dec 23, 2020.

1. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I’m in the market for a 53’ step deck and have been shopping the used market for the most part as my budget is $30k. I came across Brazos trailers the other day and wanted to get some opinions on them as it seems they are fairly new to step deck trailers. The prices for a new combo trailer from them are about same as a 10 year old used trailer from a reputable builder like Wilson or Mac. I’d prefer an all aluminum trailer as my truck is a single axle and every extra pound in payload helps. But for the price, the Brazos combo trailer caught my eye. Is this one of those cases where you get what you pay for? Thanks for the help.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Link to dealer would be good.

4. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    You already know you want to be light as possible right.?

54,999lb, I'd be looking for the best all aluminum I could find. That name brand Mac will have no problem when it comes time to sell, & the 1st owner already took the hit on FET for you..

If you're going to tag for 66k-72k lb gross, then the 12-13k lb combo step won't be as big a deal on tare weight. Nothing against Brazo's, but their name is not very recognizable, at least to me anyway.? Might take a hit money wise if SHTF & you have to sell it for whatever reason..

LMI in Waverly, TN has 53' Dorsey combos for $29,900 + fet, so it's a bit over budget, but it's a name people know..

D.Tibbitt, cke, JonJon78 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Excellent points on resale and something I haven’t really considered. An all aluminum trailer is first choice due to weight but I am paying cash so a new one is out of my budget. I’ve also set aside $5k for ramp/leveler kit, although I’ve found a few trailers with kits already installed.

In regards to used trailers, I’ve been limiting my search to trailers no more than 10 years old, especially all aluminum units as I’m worried about fatigue issues. Am I over thinking that and need to expand my options to 15 years old? I have zero experience with aluminum trailers.

7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/190665537/2018-mac-trailer-mfg-53-ft-x-102-in

This one definitely be worth a call to see if it's still available..

I feel your pain. I didn't want to spend ~$30k for 10-15yr old wagon that's been hammered on for that long either.. If it were hauling loads of plastic drainage pipe it whole life, that's a different story than one that has been "backhauling" 45k lb black iron coils.. lol

If I would have been willing to bend on spec, I could've got something like this. Seems like a fair deal at face value..? Depends how good the tires, & brakes look. Or if she been wrecked..

cke and midcon Thank this.
  8. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    That’s a Melton fleet trailer I believe. I’ll have to give them a call to find out details. Makes you wonder why they are getting rid of it after 2-3 years? I would have thought most fleets would keep them 4-5 years.

9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I have a 2016 East with Ramps to go with it, trailer is lightly used, weighs 10,000lbs. I’d like to see $37,000 for it. Little out of your budget just throwing it out there.

Tug Toy, midcon and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Would you send some pics over? How’s tires and brakes?

my email is daryl.perkins@gmail.com

11. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    i jumped the gun, this is a 48/102 realized you were looking for a 53’. Sorry about that

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.