Trailer opinions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by midcon, Dec 23, 2020.

1. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I see a bunch of Brazos end dumps, belly dumps and tall ### scrap trailers. I know there up East of Dallas. I'd definitely be looking at them if I could run a stepdeck.

midcon Thanks this.
  4. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Here is what I ended up getting. The seller went above and beyond getting me taken care of. Dropped off at local trailer shop for ramp kit and tool box to be installed.

Attached Files:

cke, Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Nice! :thumbup:
    That one of them Melton Mac's.?

Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt and midcon Thank this.
  6. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Yes sir, thanks for pointing those out. It was the best one on the lot. No major dings, they replaced the tires I had issue with, almost new brakes, and they rebuilt the slide mechanism on rear axle. This thing should last me to retirement in a few years. My only concern is the deck height as I’m used to 35” deck on my old GN. I won’t be able to take that taller freight, but hopefully the other opportunities available now should offset that.

D.Tibbitt and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Good deal.
    Glad to see one of those worked out for you..

Where are you for deck height now, ~41".? I wouldn't be too worried about it. I don't know your operation, but very little of my freight is 126", 127" tall, maybe 5%.. If it that was your wheelhouse, could be bad. If not, more payload & 13' of deck will provide more opportunity..

If you remember, post the empty weight of your FLD & Mac once you got all gear on & ramp kit fitted. Like to know how it stacks up to my 48' Doonan with full apitong deck. I'm 26,640lb with 150 gal fuel onboard. + I've got ~8' double frame from stretching the tractor. Thinking you won't be far off, maybe lighter.?

8. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Weighed in at 28,360 with 240 gal of fuel. I have probably 400 lbs of snow chains on board also. Only a few hundred pounds heavier than my old GN setup. It was at 27,200.

singlescrewshaker and cke Thank this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Thanks for remembering.. :thumbup:

I gained 240lb from gooseneck to stepdeck.. lol
    Yep, them steel goosenecks are really heavy. Especially when considering their strength to weight ratio. ~10,000lb steel gooseneck could barely carry 20k lb. & had to be distributed over 30+ feet of deck, or it looked bad.. :eek: 10,000lb aluminum step is rated at 60k lb in 10 foot, or 80k lb distributed, for 90k lbs gross trailer weight..

That's not too shabby at all.!
    Take into account
    --28,360--my 26,640= 1720lb difference
    --240 gals--my 150, 90 gal more fuel ~-630lb= 1090lb difference
    --Snow chains -400lb= 690lb difference
    --Looks like your bunk is bigger?, mines called a 42"
    --All steel 22.5" wheels on the wagon vs my 17.5" all aluminum
    --53' vs my 48'..

I'd say 690lbs look'n pretty good when you consider all this..

midcon, cke and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    What is "fet"? Federal Excise Tax? Won't he have to pay sales tax anyway when he registers it? Sorry, but I'm still learning...

singlescrewshaker and cke Thank this.
  11. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Nothing to be sorry about.. Majority of us are learning new things daily..

Yes, Federal Excise Tax.
    It effects many different purchases, but the one I was referring to, is the 12% tax uncle Sammy feels entitled to on trailers with a GVWR over 26,000lb. I believe truck/tractor start over 33,000lb.? Applies to new sale, or used sale if being imported from outside the US & not originally sold in the US.. Basically unavoidable for the new buyer as far as I know..

Sales tax depends on what state. Some have a rolling stock exemption..
    FL has a direct pay tax permit common carriers can get. This is where you only pay an apportioned amount of the sales tax by FL miles vs out of state miles. So you could end up paying about 6 tenths of a %, if only 10% of your annual mileage is in FL for example..

I registered my trailer in Maine instead. (Believe Oklahoma is another option) No sales tax, 10 year semi permanent tag cost less than $200. Like water, flow the path of least resistance.. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.