Trailer Pigtail messed up

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Siinman, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    So was messing with the wipers yesterday and next thing I know the dang things stopped working. Kept on blowing fuse and thought I had messed up something. Turned out that I had a short in the trailer pigtail and it killed the wipers. Replaced pigtail and bam the wipers did not blow the fuse anymore. Who would had thought? Ha Ha had me all worked up over this. Thought someone might need to hear this and could save them a headache.

mwhjr1988, 77fib77 and feldsforever Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I might be wrong
    But I don’t think you fixed the real problem with a trailer connection

I think it is temporarily working as I don’t know how the two are remotely connected
    Unless I’m missing something

4. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
  5. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Correct

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    So you're saying one of the many wires on your trailer pigtail is on the same circuit as your wipers? That seems pretty weird but who knows. What truck is this, or more importantly how old is it?

Seems pretty odd that on a newer truck they would be on the same circuit. My 2015 has about 200 fuses.

77fib77 and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  7. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    2014 Volvo 670. My wiper fuse would blow every time I put a new one in. Would get one wipe if I was lucky. After putting the pigtail in I changed the fuse one last time. I doubted it would do anything different and had planed to go to shop in the morning. But #### if it didn't start working right away.

Also was getting a fault issue with the fog lights as well. This is now gone nowl. Everything has worked without any issues since the minute I changed pigtails. To be clear the wires was pretty rusty and was making my left trailer blinker not work and this is why I changed the pigtail. Never would had guested that it all was the same issue. My lucky day.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.