Trailer question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by captjimmy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. captjimmy

captjimmy Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    Not saying any company names but I’m amazed at some of the trailers I’ve seen getting pulled. Look like they’ve seen a lot better days and honestly, they look dangerous. Do companies cycle trailers in the shop for maintenance? Scrap them and buy new? How does that work? I feel like I’d have to make a call before I would pull these.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    What it LOOKS like has no bearing on whether or not it is SAFE. Do you climb under it to look at the brakes, frame, and cross members? Do you walk around and check the tread depth on the tires? Are the lights all there and working? Or do you just look at the faded paint, scuffs and scratches, and dirt and make up your mind that it is "unsafe" ?

4. captjimmy

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    Valid point. I understand that it would be hard to say whether its safe or not just by driving by it. But in my opinion, rusted out rims, missing lug nuts and no reflective tape is a bit sketchy. I guess besides those few things the trailer is good as new?? I highly doubt that. Bypass the #### rim and missing lugs to polish the brakes.

Dan.S and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  5. captjimmy

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    I personally have pulled 2 trailers that triggered the ABS light on my dash. My trainer said don’t worry about it, which honestly I wasnt and its probably no big deal, but I wouldn’t want it to be a problem down the road for another driver.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You should be writing these trailers up. Don't worry about it is the bad, lazy attitude.

7. captjimmy

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    Thats what I figured. I dont have that attitude at all which is why I’m asking this question. I’m no trailer expert but common sense goes a long way.

ladr and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    One fleet I knew ran new trailers five years on the highway and then five years on local fleet. Then they got rid of them at ten years.

Steel Dragon and captjimmy Thank this.
  9. HazelEyes2

HazelEyes2 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The company I drive for had several of those gnarly looking Sanfred & Son scrappy looking trailers, but they were legal. True, they were complete rust buckets (no missing lug nuts tho..), but we'd make sure the shop fixed anything that was wrong with them. I used to be nervous pulling them because they just sounded like they were about to fall apart. They passed a few Grass Lake, MI DOT inspections, so even tho she's ugly, she's healthy!

captjimmy and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    at least 3 companies i had worked for, would buy them new, and rebuild them as needed, then would refurbish them to DOT standards, at or about the 10 year point, and sell them. after that, no way to know if the new owners took as good care of them as my former employers did.

captjimmy Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Rusted rims depends upon the extent. Surface rust is OK...only when it weakens the structural integrity is it a problem. Missing lug nuts is a no-go. Reflective tape is an easy enough problem to fix. An ABS issue depends upon where I'm at. Personally, I don't care much for ABS to begin with, but minor issues like that found out at a drop yard can wait until you get to a company yard with a shop. ANY issues found at a company yard with a shop ought to be dealt with before that trailer goes back out on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.