Trailer suspension issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Cajuncowboy654, Jan 18, 2021.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Could that valve regulate the pressure coming out of the tank?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    That is normal to leak. It is a regulatory valve, it's supposed to bleed off excess air pumped from the compressor. If it doesn't your bags will max out and the trailer will sit really really high.

After you cut the truck off with the trailer valve pushed in, that valve should level it's self and stop bleeding air. If it leaks to a point where the entire set of airbags deflate totally flat, then you have a bad leveling valve.

Warning!
    I've ran across this problem many times with the DOT and they are just as confused as most are and also do not understand. It's something you'll need to explain professionally to keep you from getting shutdown

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The valve on the tank is a relay valve. If that goes bad you will have a long delay before your brakes will apply, or release to your trailer when you step on the brake.

It will do strange things too like bleed air through your dashboard valves when you park when it goes bad.

If your having problems with brakes applying or releasing that is most likely the cause. It's a cheap part too, maybe $30

5. Cajuncowboy654

Cajuncowboy654 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2019

I know what the leveling valve is and does, even when level it will leak from the exhaust, if I #### the truck off it will continue to leak no matter if air is going to the trailer or not. It will leak until there is no more air in the bags.

Even the new leveling valve will.

The pilot valve will also leak constantly from the port that someone attempted to cap off, looking at diagrams it shouldn't leak constantly. So I have a new one coming in to see if that changes anything.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  6. Cajuncowboy654

Cajuncowboy654 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2019

The valve in the tank is fine, I assume just illustrating where the signal line for the pilot valve comes from.

The valve im questioning is in the first picture of that post.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  7. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Few years late for an answer for your question, but those valves are added into the air suspension to dump the trailer suspension when the parking brake is set for loading purposes. They can be used for other reasons, but majority of the time they're used for that.

It's basically a secondary control valve for your air suspension other than just up and down function of your leveling valve when the trailer has air in the tanks. They can be electronically or air controlled depending on the valve style you have.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.