Trailer wheelbase

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Nick34, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Just throwing this question out Iv been reading alot about what your maximum distance from the trailer kingpin to the center of the trailer axle group and in Canada it said 12.5 meters which is 41 ft I pull a tri axle RGN trailer with a 29 ft well and my distance from the kingpin to the middle axle is 44ft also almost every rgn trailer I see has this same setup my question is. Is there some kind of exemption for our trailers our kingpins sit more forward than most trailers and our axles are all the way to the back. Has anyone ever run into problems at the scales? I run all over Canada and the US except California

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    You are correct, 41 ft is the legal max. under the R.T.A.C. rules adopted by western Canada in 1988, kingpin to middle of rear axle group. That makes a lot of 29 ft well lowbeds and drop decks too long, and sometimes a scalemaster will issue a warning or ticket.,less so in recent years. Manitoba and B.C. are the most stringent on this, other provinces less concerned. A 24' well is about the longest you can build and still be within the 41 ft kingpin max. A trucking association in Canada has lobbied for an exemption for lowbeds, not sure how that turned out...

4. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I don't think you have much to worry about as long as your total length from bumper to bumper does not exceed 75.5 feet and your trrdem is equally spaced.
    The depth of the kingpin on drop trailer depends on how much frame you have behind the 5th wheel, so your mud flaps or frame don't hit the trailer.
    Back in the day most deck haulers had removable flaps for this reason.

Tridem Axle: Three equally spaced consecutive axles, having an axle spread of not less than 2.4 m but not more than 3.7 m, which are designed to automatically distribute the load.
    https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/mcd/mce/pdf/mb_vehicle_weights_and_dimensions_guide.pdf

If you ever noticed, a lot of 53' tandem trailers have a vertical line painted over the trailer tandems.
    That line is the legal WB marker to line up with the centre of the tandems.
    The legal WB for a 53' trailer is the same WB as a 48' trailer.

More reading material, start with this, should give you a good idea.

https://www.nap.edu/read/10382/chapter/9

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType276/Production/Module4.pdf

https://www.trucking.org/ATA Docs/What We Do/Trucking Issues/Documents/Highway Infrastructure and Funding/Report to Congress on the Compilation of Size and Weight Laws.pdf

Weights and Dimensions of Vehicles Regulations - Motor Vehicle Act (Nova Scotia)

Truck Weight Classifications and Restrictions in Saskatchewan | Information for Truckers and Commercial Trucking Companies | Government of Saskatchewan

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Never heard of MOT getting hot about kingpin wheelbase, but in Manitoba, you better hope your truck is 244" or shorter pulling a 53'.

3noses Thanks this.
  6. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Ya I run a 244 and my overall length is under 23 meters but the way the rulles are written my kingpin wheelbase is 3 ft to long

7. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    False. I ran a 265" wheelbase pete pulling 53' tridems through there all the time. Not ever did I have 5 min trouble.

That or they just aren't enforcing anything.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    You got lucky then. I'm sure it would have been brought up on a Level 1.

My company bought three 265" 389's a year ago, the owner not realizing the wheelbase issue with 53-footers (tandem or tridem), only found out after the ink dried. They require a $3000 per year permit to operate within Manitoba.

48's and Super-B? Not a problem. Manitoba needs to harmonize with the rest of Canada already.

HighwaySuperTramp Thanks this.
  9. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    They did when they signed on to the R.T.A.C. agreement with the rest of western Canada in 1988. But they have always seemed to be much more to-the-letter-of- the- law enforcement than the other western provinces. A scalemaster at West Hawk told me years ago they see themselves as the gateway to western Canada, since they are located on the only east-west route, and feel they should act accordingly. Many stories of problems at West Hawk of a technical nature, but usually they seemed to have a good attitude generally...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.