trailers: converting to a moffett

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Ruthless, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Anybody ever done a conversion from a regular flat, (equipped with sliding tandems) to a moffett ready rear end? I know just what I want in a trailer; finding it has been more than challenging because of what I want. I've found something at a reasonable price that is a good start, but lacking in a receptacle for a moffett which is one of the things I'm looking for. It's a Utility if that has any bearing.
    I know someone on here knows something helpful :)
    Thanks in advance

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dirty-Low-Walker Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Why don't you just get the trailer you want and buy the kit and install it yourself, or hire a good welder, the most important part when doing the installation is strengthening the eyes at the corner of the trailer where the eyes are installed.
    Call Cargotec in Lakewood, NJ for a price on the kit and ask for John.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I didn't realize there was a kit: makes sense. Thanks very much for the info

SAR Thanks this.
  5. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dec 17, 2013
    Your welcome Ruthless!
    A friend of mine had the franchise and installed hundreds of those kits, you might want to call John first before you buy a trailer because some trailers didn't work well using a Moffett, just a thought.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    Make sure your welder knows what he is doing, there are a lot of rod burners out there, but not a lot of fabricators, you need a fabricator to set you up and do it right, if it comes apart going down the road the blame will fall on you and that is an awful big hunk of iron to have come off.

7. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    True indeed. I've never had anything come off a trailer. Sure as hell won't be starting with 7,000lbs of metal.

Dirty-lo-walker I looked up the phone number for cargotec. I'll throw john a call in the morning. I have never had a moffett, ran one literally 2x. But I've had enough inquiries from local places that it would be a worthwhile addition. Especially as I don't need to drag the forklift everywhere for it to be a convenient addition (equipped with a conestoga kit: makes those quick tarp n untarp short runs a lot faster).

SAR Thanks this.
  8. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    That is what business is all about, how do you make that money, if you can bring a forklift, you can charge for it.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. alaga

alaga Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Fayetteville, GA
    Ruthless - I would recommend Cargotec to do your install on a trailer, although I have a Reitnouer that came with a Moffett kit that they installed when my trailer was built. I've been dealing with Cargotec-Atlanta for 18 years, and they have the knowledge from doing all sorts of installs on all types of trucks and trailers; except they won't do an install on an all-aluminum trailer but mine has performed flawlessly.

C'tec can advise you as to who builds trailers that are the easiest to add a kit to. I cannot recall for certain, but I think Utility would be fairly straight-forward, whereas I believe they recommend to reinforce the rear of a Great Dane, which of course would add to the install price. There are a couple of choices on Moffett kits as well (low- or high-mount). Keep in mind, sliding axles won't be much use after a kit is mounted, but you can't have everything.

Forklift work is a bit of a different animal that folks not used to it may not think about or understand.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dec 17, 2013
    They often get low hour trades and know when some are coming back in from a lease and usually have some at there yard.
    i don't know what type of work you do but they have a model that the drive wheels turn on a 90 degree angle to crab up a alley or tight area, good luck!

Ruthless Thanks this.
  11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    some truckers say fork truck is not so good as small crane, usually Palfinger, mounted on truck frame behind the sleepep

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.