Train horn

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Onemanshow, Apr 16, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Most times I will honk at a kid giving me the sign to honk, but not always, depending on where we are at.
    I learned a valuable lesson back in the 70's about honking an air horn. I was sitting at a redlight behind a blazer at a busy intersection, when a kid i the back motioned for me to honk. I was 19 at the time and foolishly honked it, the lady driving it gassed it and run right out in the middle of the intersection causing cars to dodge her and shut it down from both directions. I have been pretty selective about when I get on an air horn ever since.
    There is no law that you have to have an air horn, the little beeper on the wheel qualifies and is all I honk when getting a dot inspection anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    What about other trucks? Because I love asking other trucks to hit their air horn. Breaks up the boredom driving across some of these ranches. 45 minutes to do 5 miles sucks

4. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    A horn is required by the regulations, it doesn't matter if it's the air horn or the city horn, you are just required to have a working horn.

Rubber duck kw, rank and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    man that would be great to have on swift when he starts backing up LOL

201 Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Years ago, we had what was called a cb, worked well for things like that.
    I have a log truck and will sometimes be 2 hours or more one way on an old log road at slow speed, I can't for the life of me remember honking at another truck in a case like that. I have met some in the middle of switch back curves, when they didn't call out their location, or didn't realize where they were, but sure didn't have time to be messing with a horn in those cases. Even worse and really more often, I would meet a dog team in a blind switch back, I would have loved to lay on the horn long enough to drain my air tanks, but like I said no time till after it is all over with.

rank Thanks this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I was of the understanding it is illegal to use an air horn in city limits. Maybe that is just the cities law? I have seen DOT write up many trucks with an inoperative city horn but never an air horn?

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    No.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    If you're gonna mount a train horn to your rig, get a proper one and not one of those chromed truckstop train horns. They don't sound anything like the Real McCoy and they'll fall apart within a year. An actual cast steel horn from the likes of Leslie or Nathan will sound better and is likely to survive longer than the truck it's mounted on. You're gonna pay a fair bit more for one, though.

There was a guy on eBay who hit a nice middleground selling PVC train horn replicas he made himself. They had that authentic sound for a fraction of the price. I bought one that I kept on my last company's truck for a year. It's sitting in my garage collecting dust atm because my current employer doesn't have a sense of humor about that kind of thing, lol.

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have a set of 5 bells, you need to run big enough line for sure. I use a spring loaded ball valve. Its self closing, sucks when your tryin to get the noise shut down and your hand slips off the handle. Yea it happens lol.

They say without proper paperwork that they are illegal to have or own whatever. No one has ever said anything about mine in any inspection etc. Course they could tomorrow.

11. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I installed 4 trumpet with half inch line and trolley valve next to seat. They are loud but if I open the valve completely, it’s almost as if the horns can’t take the volume of air and they get quieter. What is causing this? No air leaks anywhere in the system. Maybe the horns aren’t up to par. Got from big rig chrome shop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.