Trained auto, need to learn manual!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mantana, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    A 15 speed isn't that complex yet it'll still screw a few people up who have never touched one

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    yeah I'd disagree on learning on a 4 wheeler. You don't have to double clutch those.

4. 1Sparks

1Sparks Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Sioux Falls, SD
    But you can. And it saves a massive amount of wear on the clutch. Had a Ferrari 308 that I put almost 40k on (plus whatever wear was on it from the previous owner) and still had over 1/3 of the clutch left when I sold it. Normal clutch life is supposed to be 30k miles. Granted it won't bite you the way a truck will if your revs don't match, but it is so smooth when done right you can tell if you miss shifted. A diesel vw would be a good vehicle to learn on for rev matching and pretty cheap.

5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I personally cant stand autos. You don't have full control over the transmission. They arent any fun to drive. I'm in a 2017 t880 manual and he can pry it from my dead cold shifting hand. My boss only buys autos. I'm grateful I have a newer lower mileage 18 manual I will keep as long as I work here and I might find a new job years later when this truck wears out if he is unwilling to buy me another manual.

Plenty of milk haulers buy manual shift trucks out here.... manuals are the vast majority in this type of hauling. Autos arent really made for heavy smooth bore tankers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.