Trainer sleeping in cab

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cbake7, Jun 23, 2020.

1. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Thinking about this career- I would be likely be coming with a private school CDL - does anyone know of any GOOD companies that don't have their trainers sleep with the trainee during that period? I'm very particular about my sleep- this is just weird to me, having a total stranger sleep a foot away from you for 4 weeks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Something you have to get used to for a short period of time. It's understandable though, how you feel. I'm similar, but being in the Navy, I learned to tune all that out, so a transition to trucking was easy. I would never team though, except as a new driver being trained.
    I trained myself to be the only invisible person in a crowded room.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Someone posted a few months ago about a company where the trainer sleeps in a motel and the trainee stays in the truck. Seems strange, but that's what was posted.
    TransAm has a short training period of 10 or 11 days. They push lease-purchase, so you'd have to fight that and stay a company driver. You could stay there for 3 - 6 mos. then find a better company.
    ~
    TransAm Trucking | Trucking Jobs & Truck Driving Careers
    https://www.transamtruck.com
    Required to take the tractor and trailer home during home time and must have secure place to park the equipment at home location.
    Tuition Reimbursement Program
    TransAm Trucking offers a tuition reimbursement program to our student drivers. We want to invest in you and help you repay your truck driving school loan. We hire graduates of truck driving school programs across the country and we will reimburse $125 per month up to $6,000.
    ~
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Coffey, JForce28 and Selva Thank this.
  6. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    As @Chinatown said, your best bet if this is what you think you want is just adjust to it for a short while. I would suggest a company like Wilson where the training is in miles rather than days though. You want your learning to be as in depth as possible, not quick and pointless.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Sound like you need local job

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, Wilson Logistics has an excellent reputation and the pay is good.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    They've been good to me so far, but as with every company "your mileage may vary". Knowing what I know now I think the training miles is better than days, since it means definite training with somebody there by you. 4 weeks of training doesn't mean bull spit, if 3 days out of 7 were sitting waiting on loads.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    When I trained with Schneider, they got me a hotel for the 2 weeks of training because it was dedicated Walmart account and we were back at the DC nightly, except for 1 night got stuck out so we both slept in truck. Easy stuff.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Not every company does it like that. I got a one week training on local pickups and never spent a night with the trainer. Good thing because they don't have any double bunks. Before that I got my experience paving and that training was to drive a mile and then come back. Got my license at a state sponsored school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.