Training and getting dispatched as a super single?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by augiedoggie41, Sep 20, 2017.

1. augiedoggie41

augiedoggie41 Light Load Member

May 21, 2017
    I talked to a recruiter today. I asked how the truck is dispatched during training. The training period is 6-8 weeks. I was told after three weeks the truck is dispatched as a super single than as a team. I should of had her elaborate but we were messaging through the drivers pulse app.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Your dispatched as a tire?

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Super single dispatching means the student will start their day and run a few hours before the trainer comes on duty. That way the truck can move 16-18 hours but the trainer is still available to the student for the "important things".

5. augiedoggie41

May 21, 2017
    What are the more important things?

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Backing, dealing with customers, trip planning, company policy stuff. You shouldn't need the trainer to pre trip and run the first 100 miles down the highway in the morning so he takes a nap on the sleeper trendiest two hours, then gets up to supervise the student going into town, dealing with the customer and getting back on the road. At the end of the day the student craps out as the trainer knocks out a few more miles.

In theory it allows a truck to run the same miles it would with an experienced driver running the truck. My trainees drag my average mileage per day down 50-70 miles and I'll run a full 14 instead of 12ish. Training pay makes up for it on my end, but the company is losing revenue per day.

x1Heavy and augiedoggie41 Thank this.
  7. augiedoggie41

May 21, 2017
    Does $450 gross a week seem low for training pay?

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Seems a little low, but it's just temporary. If it's the company I'm thinking it is, they're strict and thorough on having new drivers trained correctly to be true professionals when they're assigned their own truck.

augiedoggie41 Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    They are robbing you. You are out there generating as much revenue as experienced driver and they pay you squat!

augiedoggie41 Thanks this.
  10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    That's about what I got for training at Swift. Absolute crap pay for what you're doing.
    I left that place after a month or two.

Like Chinatown said it's temporary though.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, because it's training pay. It's the same everywhere; interns don't get paid the same as the job they're training for and sometimes don't even get paid for being an intern. Teachers aids don't get paid the same as a tenured teacher.
    When you graduate from military basic training, you don't get paid the same as an E-6 with 15 yrs. experience even though they both may be side by side tromping through the jungle and pulling triggers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.