Training with Alliance Driver a mistake?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by pharrari, Feb 20, 2013.

1. pharrari

pharrari Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    Hey guys! Sorry to have to rant here, but I have to get some answers/opinions.

I believe I'm on my 4th or 5th week on OR1 and I have low
    miles, haven't touched any mountains, I've practiced on hills but
    that doesn't count. I haven't done a lot
    of backing other than 2x times into an empty truck stop parking spot. The trainer
    does a piss poor job pre-tripping, he says just check the lights to make sure they work and lets go.
    I feel like I'm getting robbed on my training. The trainer drove some of my
    little miles that I have, under 3k. Sometimes when I ask him something trucking
    specific he says "its up to me". Is this the type of training I should be getting from
    an Alliance driver? Was it a mistake that I selected to go with an Alliance Driver versus a company driver?

I'm supposed to be getting ready to go to OR2 but the way things are looking, I'm not sure if I'llmake it! I'm definitely calling my councilor tomorrow about this, but I just want opinions or answers as to
    what these trainers are supposed to do to make us successful safe drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This has nothing to do with Alliance Vs company. It has to do with you are with a jerk that couldn't care less about your training and cares more that he gets more paid miles having you in the truck. Get moved to another trainers truck ASAP. Stop being so timid, It is your career after all.

4. pharrari

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    I care about my training, thats why I asked here. I 'll be calling my councilor tomorrow.

I just wasn't sure if this is typical training from Stevens. Whats even worst, i had to eat out all the time because his truck appliances are busted!

5. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Thats not a valid complaint lol.

But the other stuff is. Talk to your counciler. Tell him that your trainer wont let you drive or back in. But like was said, has nothing to do with Alliance or Company. There are bad trainers and good trainers in both .. and industry wide, not just Stevens. They cant weed them out unless they know whats going on.

pharrari, Dryver, YukonMark and 2 others Thank this.
  6. DirtSquirt

DirtSquirt Bobtail Member

I agree with Dryver..Get another trainer ASAP...It is your career, get a trainer who wants to train, not just milk the miles. Dont pick up his bad habits either, poor pre-trips etc..

TRKRSHONEY and pharrari Thank this.
  7. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    id have been killing the phone after the first week of no backing and low miles. theres no reason other then the ones that have been posted already. someone is just making money off of you now

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  8. DirtSquirt

DirtSquirt Bobtail Member

You are welcome. Be safe.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Just be careful what you wish for. Good Luck

10. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Wait a minute... you said he drove some of your miles... as in you were logged on and he drove?

Driving on someone else's log is illegal.

You need to get off that truck and fast.

YukonMark and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  11. pharrari

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    Yeah he had me do macro 33 and then he drove part of my miles. We were going to NY and he decided upon himself to drive my miles when I told him that I feel like I have low miles on the week I'm on and he didnt want me to drive in snow. There's just so much bad this guy has done I could write a book. I need to wait till the office is open.

His truck broke down for 3-4 days. They kept me with the trainer. After it was fixed he wanted to "test" his truck to made sure it would drive right. Ugh im disturbed by this! The reason I waited so long because I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would do the right thing, but after getting to a whole foods drop, I saw an Alliance driver let his student back into the dock. I have not done that period or gotten acquainted with the paper work. He told me to stay in the truck while he went to shipping and receiving in case someone wanted me to "
    move" the truck. I hope they start my training over. I feel like I went through a piss poor CDL school with a nut case who doesnt care if I learn or not. I have under 3k miles and on my 4-5 week. One time we had a produce load and he forgot to put load locks on it while he adjusted the tandems and part of the load fell and he had to restack it. He told me to keep a low profile and the receiver won't care because they have to break it down anyway, as long as nothing was damaged. I sat in the jump seat most of the training filming the scenery because he just "forgot" that I'm there for training so I can move to the next phase.

I have to tell about this guy, I mean on a personal
    level he seems like a down to Earth guy, on a business level
    he just doesnt get my approval. He told me not to snitch on him. Ugh! Oh the orange folder hasn't been touched by him
    or maybe he wrote crap in it.

One time we had to go through DOT inspection while he was driving on my time and I was in the jump seat but luckily he didnt get flagged down to pull over.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.