Training with Alliance Driver a mistake?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by pharrari, Feb 20, 2013.

1. pharrari

pharrari Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    I finally got a new trainer! I have far more confidence in this guy than the last! To start off he showed me what I should look for on the truck before taking off. He is Alliance. The bad thing is, I was cut short my OR1 but hopefully I soak in everything I need so I can pass the tests when I return!

nascarchuck and KMac Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pharrari

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    Hey folks! Unfortunately, I'm back here again. The trainer can train but he has serious anger managent issues and a lack of patience with me. This is a sort of old dude and he claims thay I shouldnt take his yelling and screaming at me personally, but he has taken a personal shot on me. I told him I learn by repetition and to have him repeat or remind me of how I should do something. He also isnt very specific at all, for instance when I'm driving he says to "cut over". That means nothing to me but I asked him which direction left or right but he just raisea his voice ans says CUT OVER NOW! Also he is unsafe. I was waiting to drive in the jump seat and I was taping the scenery. He was doing something with his.pocket book and all of a sudden, traffic stopped and he had to slam on the brakes! I'm going to request a non Alliance trainer, they seem to have an agenda and its money first, then the student. I only have 2 more weeks for this guy, but I don't appreciate the way he talks to me and the tone of voice he use. I told him about it but he says, he's tired and grumpy, which is why he acts the way he does. I'm almost close to finding another company.

4. flue

flue Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    My goodness. I had heard from my s/o that things during training arent all roses and sunshine. Having to live in a confined area for weeks at a time with a stranger tends to make for pain in the brain. His teaching style doesnt seem to mesh with your learning style. Rather than focusing on the bad, perhaps you would be more successful if you focus on the goal. Pick his brain, learn all you can, and know that it doesnt last forever. Soon you will be in your truck, your miles. Does it benefit you more to have the knowledge you need to succeed, or to go through trainers you may or may not like, extending your training time?

5. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    When you go back to the yard for OR2, you will fill out a survey on your trainer. Make sure you put all this down. They do try to weed out the grossly inadequate trainers. Make it through the next 2 weeks and 21 days of trainee trainee and you will be in your own truck. Alliance or company doesn't matter, there are good trainers and bad trainers.

pharrari Thanks this.
  6. pharrari

Nov 21, 2012
    Sanford,FL
    This morning the trainer went ape #### on me. He belittled me and ridiculed me because I couldn't back. I asked if he could show me again but he continued to press on the pain to me. I realise I'm not the best but he should have been more patient with me. I'm not looking for a best friend trainer, I'm
    looking for patience and the willingness to repeat or review steps until I become successful and not ridicule me for not being able to duplicate what I did the first time. I was almost close to getting to the yard but this morning he really laid it to me in the worst possible way with his yelling and screaming at me. I could not stay on this mans truck, knowing that all he does is yell and scream! He was like, why can't you effin remember how to back from your CDL school? I've already advised him that where I came from didn't give us enough practice. He didn't
    care about that at all and proceeded to say all trainers are like him etc. I used my phone to record him belittle me so that people dont think I'm making this up! I knew from when I met him that he was going to be an A Hole. I can take on A Holes but not to this degree. When I drove and asked him questions, he would yell and still ridicule me. I simply cannot focus when he does that to me. At least I learned a little more this time but dealing with someone with anger management issues isn't my job. I also don't want to deal with someone who isn't safe and puts it on me that "I'm
    messing with their money". Last night I was in California and there's a max speed of 55 mph and he said I need to go faster because we are behind from an earlier traffic backup. I told him the sign says 55 mph max! He said "whose effin truck is this??! Whose paying for this truck? Whose driven longer? He said do what I say and shut up! I swear this guy was some sort of drill/pumishment officer the way he spoke to me!

On another note, he bought a tablet and since he is new to using it, I told him I would walk him through how to use it. He also had an issue with his cell phone that I was helping him with. I told him see how I'm showing you how to do this, no matter how many times you ask me, I still respond with an intelligent response with no yelling or ridicule.

moonshadow Thanks this.
  7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Helping him with the tablet may actually work to your benefit. I did something similar with my trainer and the tension eased somewhat.

Remember though, it's only two weeks... a long two weeks I grant you but when you are solo finally, it will seem.like a long time ago this all happened.

pharrari Thanks this.
  8. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Call your counselor, you can even e-mail the recordings in. They will get you off that truck. Trust me, not all trainers are like him, there are good ones out there. This is probably one of the guys who spends every penny he makes and is broke all the time. If enough students report him he will not be training any more. I was the final report on a trainer that was removed from training. It may be his truck, but you would be getting the ticket and CSA points. Backing takes practice. I still suck at it but I'm getting better. My best advice is not to try doing it in one fell swoop. I am getting better results by moving a bit, stopping, then adjusting my steering, then move a bit more, etc. This gives more control. If you make adjustments while the truck is rolling it takes longer for the truck to respond. I did a 180 back in NYC the other day, I had a dedicated NYC driver watching for me and he told me "well done". All he does is repower loads going into NYC, he delivers in there every day. I only needed 2 tries to get it in the hole, but I went very slowly. Take your time with it, there is no time limit, and get out and look if you need to, it's better than backing into something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.