TransAm: It isn't THAT bad

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by KillerBug, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Well, equipment IS important to me, not the most important, but near the top. If I narrow it down to 2 companies, with similar wage and benefit packages, and one offers 5-7 YO FL's, and the other offers 1-2 YO KW's, guess where I'm going, all other things being similar.

strawberryrhubarbpie and FLATBED Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    the KW dealership in Kansas City opened up a branch in Olathe so Johnny wouldn't switch to Freightliners

apparently there are 5-10 new T700's every week
    . There were 6 brand new ones there thursday as mine had some warranty work being done

4. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    does transam pay fsc on deadhead/empty miles as stated in their site?

also whats the current fsc?

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Lonesome after 20 years your entitled to be picky on the equipment , I was sort of directing the comment towards newer drivers who would chose a GLITTERMOBILE and poor $ over a FREIGHSHAKER and a benefit package.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    A bunch of chrome don't pay the bills...I just want a dependable piece of equipment so I can do my work and make my $$$...if a company can't maintain their equipment, well..then I'm gone..it's a simple as that..

Rollover the Original Thanks this.
  7. KillerBug

KillerBug Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    TransAm does not...but the wife of the owner of TransAm owns MHC Kenworth...and they have lots of locations.

Yes, not 100% sure on the current FSC as I deleted the message but it isn't quite enough to cover fuel by itself, even at 7MPG.

OO/Lease drivers should do that themselves...of course having newer trucks that are under full warranty doesn't hurt. I know one old-timer that is still running his 15-year-old FL...the money he has spent on repairs in the last 6 months would have bankrupted most drivers. It is to the point where I almost expect to hear about something breaking when I see his number on caller id. For this he gets bad fuel economy and a tiny cab that vibrates and rattles even at a stoplight.

8. Duffield

Duffield Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Kandahar, Afghanistan
    Well said Drvrtech!

9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    anyones criteria for picking a company to drive for is completely thier own decision
    if not no one would ever drive for CRE based on information found on here
    and me thinks that it is trucker BS that John's wife owns the KW dealership
    I heard from a driver who told me a friend told him that...........................

10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Since 1975, Murphy-Hoffman Company (MHC) has built its business on the belief that customer loyalty is only as strong as customer service. This focus has helped MHC become a multi-state network of Kenworth dealers providing more than 40,000 customers with a full range of truck related services.

MHC is an expansion of the original company, Ozark Kenworth , Inc. Ozark Kenworth started in Springfield, Missouri, in January 1975 -- opened for business without a parts or service department and only three employees in a temporary facility. From there, the company grew and expanded.

11. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    killerbug u still with us? wish i can read more input into how to make the lease work.

-from what i read in your post is it not better to just turn down loads going west and just stay in the Midwest to East coast runs? (avoid mountains, and California)
    -does transam have non-smoking trainers...? i hope they have good trainers, that werner trainer thread haunts me.
    -any young ppl driving for transam im only 23 soon to be 24.
    -how does this fuel taxes thing work? is that something deducted from you? or you have to pay them when doing taxes?
    -on another note. the cpm that they deduct for the maintenance account, does that cover ALL costs like new tires and oil changes?
    -on the site it says .84 cpm + fsc on loaded and empty. is nothing paid for deadhead miles?

that's all i can think off right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.