Transmission Cooler

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Kozakvod, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    13 speed Eaton on a 2014 Pete 388 9 car sti ger car hauler…I have heard pros and cons about eliminating the transmission cooler completely. Im sitting on the fence with mine and would appreciate some thoughtful responses. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    RR APSL-0021_f.indd (roadranger.com)
    Cooler reduces temps and increases lube life. Eaton requires a cooler depending on engine hp and torque. But your probably out of warranty. Why would you want to remove it? Share some of the pros about eliminating the cooler.

W923 and Kozakvod Thank this.
  4. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    My issue is simple being a car hauler my ground clearance is so minimal that if I have to get under my truck for any reason I can’t without driving up on a set of 3 2x12’s to get enough clearance to shimmy under. Additionally have a coolant cooled cooler is running the risk of coolant into my tranny.

So eliminating one more set of coolant lines under the truck and removing the risk of coolant into the tranny.

I know I can go the air cooled route but i no idea what size i need, where to mount it to get best air flow with limited space. So Im sorta sitting on high center, etc.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  5. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I remounted my aircooled unit horizontally between the frame rail and the drive shaft behind the sleeper. A T-fitting for a temp sensor (210degees) to to control a fan blowing up helps a lot.
    cooler mount.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    W923, Kozakvod and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I am not a fan of coolant to transmission oil coolers. Lost transmissions and sludge in coolant is expensive.
    Air to air coolers work well even without a fan. Keep them clean, mount then away from the exhaust and in a area with good air flow is best. Just out in the open is not bad.

7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I remounted mine for clearance and protection while running gravel roads north of the Alcan highway in Yukon territory hauling mining equipment. it protects from road debris as well. This can also work for him as a lowriding carhauler.

W923, Kozakvod and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I put a air cooled trans cooler on a 378 we repowed for a customer about a year ago it mounted up front of the radiator got it from Midwest Peterbilt it was a aftermarket and it was kinda pricey

W923 and Kozakvod Thank this.
  9. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    Do you actually need the fan for this configuration?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  10. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Air cooled is supposed to be mounted in the front of the truck so air passes through the cooler when moving. The fan also pulls air through the radiator and ac condenser. If mounting the cooler like Beastr123 did (which is ok, worked for him) behind the sleeper then the cooler is not going to get anywhere near the airflow as if it were mounted in front. So in his case (or yours if you decide to do the same), then yes, a fan would be needed.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.