Transporting an empty trailer with no tag

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DeDeDispatcher, Jul 30, 2014.

1. DeDeDispatcher

DeDeDispatcher Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Ok, being told two different stories here. One of my drivers just got pulled over because the empty trailer- non loadable- that he was transporting had no tag. He says the cop told him that he needed to have a temporary tag on it to transport and that he was letting him go, but that he should have impounded the trailer. However, my broker is telling me that everything is fine, that the trailer doesn't need a tag because its not loaded and will not be loaded, its just going from point a to point b. So.... who is lying? the cop or the broker? I don't want to have to drop this lane if I don't have to.

Mr huds Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It needs some sort of registration. If you are in the business of transporting trailers like that, you can get transporter tags (similar to a dealer tag) that can be moved from trailer to trailer.

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Cop is right. You need a transport tag to transport an empty trailer. You need actual registration if it is loaded.

5. MrIT

MrIT Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I am not a trucker (not for another 3 weeks anyway) - but I can assure you that the only way a trailer would not need a tag is if it was being transported by another trailer. I am guessing if this is a 53ft box or reefer this would not be possible.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you can pull 3 flats at a time. with no tags what so ever.

i think it depends on the ownership status of the trailer.

one company i worked for, purchased a used fuel tanker from a repair shop in maine. i dragged it back to utah with nothing more then a peace of paper that said "bill of sale". no one bothered me.

another company i worked for. purchased 3 brand new flats straight from the manufacture in arkansas. you could kind of say that was a load. 2 flats loaded on one. i dragged those back to utah, with an envelope for each trailer. have no idea on the paperwork inside the envelopes, other then owners manuals in each one. again, no one bothered me.

none of those just purchased trailers could haul loads till they had a plate, registration, and a unit number front and back of trailer.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Alot depends on the state and the police.
    Just as easy to get a transporter tag like the other poster stated.
    Stacked flatbeds going to the same company or dealer, just needs a tag for the bottom trl.
    They are new or even a used set.

Still needs what I call a toway or transporter tag..

8. DeDeDispatcher

DeDeDispatcher Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I just informed the carrier owner to get transporter tags for his trucks so we can stay on this lane.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I run power only exclusively, for the past 10 years. Yes there are guys who move an empty trailer with no license plate and don't get caught. But legally you either need a temp tag or a transporter tag. A transporter tag can only be used on an empty trailer or a piece of equipment that is incapable of hauling other freight, a generator for example.
    I see guys leave the factory all the time who don't bother to put on their transporter tag, and the local cops in the area have a good time with them.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I'm assuming you mean he's pulling a trailer by itself down the highway, not pulling a flatbed with a trailer on it. A trailer is a vehicle that needs to be registered if being operated on a public highway. That registration can be a temp tag, a dealers transport tag, or a regular registered vehicle. You also didn't say if the trailer was just missing the tag but had the registration or it wasn't registered at all. In Ca. it's legal to move heavy equipment from job site to job site with just an off road type registration. This is a vehicle that normally gets it's use on construction sites only and only sees the highway when getting moved to another job site. Like a 5000 gal water truck.

11. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    One of the reasons this is a little bit of a gray area is that being properly and legally registered/tagged is a DMV, regular LEO thing, and most of the things we worry about are DOT/FMCSA things. Not that either can't call you on it. Another thing you can do is just register it. It costs $49 to buy tags for a year here in VT, and sometimes that's easier than getting transport tags from the state the trailer is in, as they issued by the state the vehicle is being transported out of. This won't work if it gets all mucked up by sales tax and title fees, but for trailers I've bought for me it saved some time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.