Trash pick up business

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by GrizzlyCan2011, Aug 7, 2014.

1. GrizzlyCan2011

GrizzlyCan2011 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    Oh wow just read her story, I wanna go pick up trash right now! Haha, the curbside thing is a good idea and man, I'd be way overcharging people at $15 a week. Bet I could get good business at $25 a month with the option of recycling. This idea seems more promising than dump trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Be carefull, getting paid is the hard part sure 15 bucks a month but is that unlimited amount? What about large items that cost extra to tip, how long do keep picking when there not paying, are you providing cans, how are you going to deal with hazmat (depending on you county rules that could be anything from paint to oil exc..) i ran for a guy who started with 1 truck and 200 cans, did everything himself went 22 years before he sold he had 7 frontend loaders 9 rolloffs 4 sidearms and a few service vehicles. Theres money there just not easy money. To dump a tv as a home owner here is free but throw it in a garbage can and the dumping co gets hit for 200 bucks for dumping e-waste. Have EVERY thing planed. As for how to compete, do you have 3/4 mile driveways? If so try doorside rather than curb, a few dollars more of cource, dont ever pick for less than dump cost your not building business by being the sucker that takes a couch for 5 bucks and paying 20 to dump it. People dont like paying for trash espesialy when they can run it down themselfs in a pinch so when your bill comes due umm naw dont think ill pay whatca gonna do take me to court over 40 bucks for the last 2 months of pick up? Not saying dont just saying dont be blind to problems before they become problems. The guy i ran for sold for a reason.....

4. GrizzlyCan2011

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    First I was thinking 25$ a month, i think that's fair. I was going to be providing carts. As far as unlimited, yes but I'll have to see how much it costs to dump big items and charge accordingly. I called my city and DEQ and I don't need a special license to haul regular trash. My next step is to call the land fill and see what they require.

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    So a easy estimete game 4 picks a month at 30 pounds of trash 120 lbs, times a base of 30 houses so 3600 lbs estimite near as makes no diffrence 2 tons, here it would run around 60 bucks a ton without a price deal so 120 a month but here theres a min charge for less than a ton so to get your moneys worth you would have to store it. But you cant do that here so it becomes a base charge of about 40 bucks a tip, so it 160 a month in tipping fees. Gas depends on your truck and mile of cource, but lets give it a number 50 bucks in fuel for 1 full run all picks and dump included so your at 360 a month, so 750 becomes 400 or so then tax yourself (assuming you plan to) down to 250 now cost of carts at a min of 30 bucks each so 900 in carts, spare wheels and axels 100 bucks, so your first month will cost at least 1200 for a payout of250. So it only takes a few people not paying on time and your paying to work. Trash business runs on exspantion. Get bigger or die. Thats the problem and dont offer unlimited only what fits in the can extra bags extra cost 5 bucks or 3 or whatever it takes to keep people from over dumping for free on your dime. Ijust a few things to think about, all based on my area but you get the idea.

6. GrizzlyCan2011

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    Oh yea and thanks for all the advice. And the 96 gallons carts I've seen at lowes cost like $90. My next step is to call landfills and see how much it costs. My other concern is I'd love to get big. Only problem is I'd be competing with Republic Services so it'll be tough. Would love to take on my little town but they already service it.

7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Dont waste your time thinking about them. My old boss owned his city becuse it was HIS city. Waste man couldnt pay to break his hold as a local owner. Thats how he started 1 man 1 truck 1 small town. Jjust never stoped

8. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    HA! Just had a great idea, rent a 8 yard front end dumpster from republic fill it with your costomers trash and have them haul it. :) might even be cheaper than tipping it yourself

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.