Travel ban ticket in Pa

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Buya, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    You are responsible for planning your trip. Hazmat routes, detours, weight limits, etc. Bad weather/road closures is part of that. I knew about the truck bans before I left Mobile, Alabama, Monday morning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    The local trucking companies in the n.e. of PA are very upset about the truck ban when there was only 2 - 4 inches of snow. But an inch of that was ice. I wouldn't want to drive in it.

They are complaining to the state legislators about these truck bans. They blame PennDOT for their losses due to the truck ban during the bad weather.

The interstates in this area have weekly truck crashes that cause injury, property damage, and traffic delays. It only gets worse when the weather gets bad......PennDOT has responded.

4. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Just passing by Thanks this.
  5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    We all just have to remember common sense isn't common anymore. Dont want to sound like a old timer, but it used to be we didn't need the gov't to tell us when we could drive or not. But times are a lot different now. People in commerical vehicles driving that are not really safe on dry roads. Their skill is slim to none. No one has really taught them anything. Sad.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It would be interesting to challenge the citation as invalid if OP was engaged in interstate commerce at the time. States cannot regulate interstate commerce, only the Federal government can do that.

rank Thanks this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I say let Darwin do his job. I'm 40 min up the road from you pumpkin doing local oilfield work and it was business as usual on the 2 lanes.

If you're not smart enough to slow down or park it, its on you

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I wasn't aware that state speed limits on the interstate doesn't apply to interstate trucks. Whats the federal speed limit then?

roshea and not4hire Thank this.
  9. TylerVS

TylerVS Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Sully, IA
    I didn’t see him arguing with whether he deserved the ticket. Later he said he didn’t know, but the op just asked a simple question.

rank Thanks this.
  10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    A speed restriction is not the same thing as a state telling Interstate carriers that they cannot move at all on Federally funded roadways.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...and if he's on the road when that push notification comes through and he reads it, it would be a violation of §392.80 & §392.82.

Not everybody has a CB. Not everybody listens to the radio. Not everybody wastes time in the morning browsing the internet before starting their day.

The ONLY way to ensure everybody could reasonably be aware of the ban would be to have signage up indicating such at every entry point to the banned section of road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.