Travel ban ticket in Pa

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Buya, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Tell that to rockslides out west.

Now tell me again where it says shutting down cmvs in commerce for bad weather is illegal.
    I looked for it. It doesnt exist.

not4hire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Interstate Frequently Asked Questions - 50th Anniversary - Interstate System - Highway History - Federal Highway Administration
    Who sets traffic rules on the Interstate System?

Because the States own and operate the Interstates, the States establish the operating requirements, such as speed limits. The States also are responsible for enforcement.

The National Committee on Uniform Traffic Laws and Ordinances (NCUTLO), which includes State motor vehicle administrators and police officers, publishes a compendium of model traffic laws and rules of the road. The goal of NCUTLO is to promote uniformity across the States, but each State is free to adopt its own traffic laws and rules based on its unique circumstances.

Drops mic, goodnight!

not4hire and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I was there last week. That ban was legit in my opinion.

5. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Anyone that knows anything about Pa knows it's a broke a&& state that doesn't have the money or the resources to keep the roads clear durlng a major snowstorm, they're a commonwealth for crying out loud. By instituting a ban they limit their liability. If they don't enforce the ban, what good is it. I've seen so many wrecks up in the hills, especially on that 380, 80 stretch. They leave trucks in the ditch for weeks. The 81 stretch is another one.I could go on and on. The point being,I wouldn't be caught dead(cause you might be) on the road in Pa during a snowstorm.

Trucker61016 and 88228822 Thank this.
  6. Blackshack46

Sure we have the resources, but penndot is kinda like your average hoarding nieghbor.
    They just keep taking in the salt and collecting the money but never use it again...

7. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    would that apply during a declared state of emergency?

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  8. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    PA trivia: the state law prohibits cities and towns leo from using radar to enforce the speed limit. Only state patrol are allowed to use radar on state roads and interstates. Local leo can only use lidar, which requires the painted lines on the road, which is pretty rare to see. We have one set of lines in Scranton.

So you can, and evryone does, speed in cities and towns without fear of ticketing. A leo could follow you and pace you, and ticket you for speeding, but can’t use radar.

Most people that live here don’t know about or don’t care. Usually the potholes slow people down more than radar enforcement would anyway.

People dont want a town to make any money by enforcing the speed limit. So, I was driving 70 in a 35 or 45 zone in a 4 lane commercial area, and a guy was trying to pass me....I wanted to see how fast he would go.

I don’t like to speed, but basically you can drive any speed you want in town without fear of getting caught, and people do.

Sort of like New Hampshire not requiring drivers to wear seatbelts. Their motto is Live Free or Die, and they do die for it.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  9. Blackshack46

No, because there is no such thing as the federal government controlling the interstates. Interstates are state maintained, patrolled, and restricted for whatever reason the state sees fit.

10. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Other states are grasping on to this idea of ticketing commercial vehicles with a travel ban. NJ being one of them, I can see why they want to do it. Keeps trucks off roads, avoids big wrecks, and creates $$$ for the state. Unfortunately, just like everything else it’s a money grab. They put the ban into affect 10 1/2 hrs before the storm began flaking. NJ wrote all their tickets while the sun was still shining. And they didn’t post the ban on the roadways until 6 hrs into the ban. Even if you agree with the concept, it’s pretty easy to tell $$$ is the driving force with this new law. Talked to a local trooper in my neighborhood who said his barracks made over 1/3 of the whole months quota in 5 hrs. Not bad for a half days work.

Cat sdp and rank Thank this.
  11. Blackshack46

Let us know when you dont work for the $$$ anymore either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.