Trexler Plaza,Allentown ,Pa

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by labagiamf, Oct 6, 2010.

1. labagiamf

labagiamf Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    brooklyn,ny
    Was delivering in Newark,NJ Wed morning could get there Tuesday night but customer had no parking.
    Heading east on I78,and hoping a spot was available at the Wawa. If no parking,I planned on going to either company terminal in macungie,or a nearby customer who has parking,and 'pretend' like I was delivering there.
    At around mm30 or there abouts,saw a billboard saying Trexler Plaza travel center now open, hwy 1oo north,turn right on Thilgman. I've delivered once or twice off of thilgman.I said if no space at Wawa,I'd try there. No space at Wawa so, went north on 100,right on Thilgman (1st light after going back under I78.)Go down to Blue Barn rd (CVS pharmacy at corner) and make left turn.

Four rows of parking spaces,and each row is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 times the one row at Wawa. Parking slots are angled and are such that no blind backing is needed. Enough space to back out,if you park nose in.

Cashier said they were open about 6 weeks now.
    Seems like a new building,fresh asphalt,clean rest room, small drivers' lounge with tv. Has showers,but did not use ,but as I said,building is new.

Regular truck stop merchandise,drinks snacks,some truck supplies.Seems like regular truck stop prices also.Some shelves are still not stocked. There is a small kitchen,but they seem to close early,but they open at 6 for breakfast.Got egg,ham sandwich.

Told cashier I really appreciate an alternative to Wawa in the area. I sometime need a place to park going into or coming out of NY/NJ on I78. I never plan on stopping at either Bloomsbury or Clinton , especially going east, especially if it's late evening ,or night,since chances are,they will already be full.

A search on here showed a post about Trexler Plaza,in 2007, so it was always there,but it seems it might have closed and recently re-opened.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    How long till the lot lizards are back, that place used to be a hell hole.

Mark

HFC Thanks this.
  4. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Trexler Plaza Sunoco Truck Stop
    3131 Tilghman Street
    Allentown, PA 18104-9105
    (610) 432-1087
    trexlerplaza@gmail.com

The eariler truck stop incarnation had been founded in 1921.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Do they have a scale up and working yet?
    Need a good scale in that area so you can weigh before hitting Jersey.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  6. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    They reopened and cleaned up that rathole? I use to park there and wait for my appointment at Americold(they would never give us an afternnon appointment, always evening). That place was a rathole at the time('05). Only going thing about parking there is it was close to my last p/u(Americold) and the resturant nextdoor was good(Chris's). I know werner use to use the backlot as a drop yard.

If I needed a place to take ten it that area, I also hit up the Bandit at exit 45. Good parking(when you can find some) and a nice little place to eat nextdoor(New Smithville Diner).

7. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    That place used to be one of the worst around. There was an old motel next to it where it looked like vagrants lived.

I haven't been since the new one went up, but I drove by once when the old one was all torn down and the CVS Pharmacy was going in. I didn't think a truck stop would be rebuilt there. Good to hear.

8. labagiamf

labagiamf Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    brooklyn,ny
    Sorry ChromeDome, no scale is there. It would be nice to have one there though. I sometimes haul water out of nestle waters and it would be nice to have a scale near by.

9. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I use to haul Kraft out of there all the time where I would have to head straight to NJ. And chance the state scale to get to the Peelot scale.
    Now I am running dry freight and hauling the same water as you are. And was wondering for the same reason. Right now I have to go all the way to the Loves. Though that is the direction I am headed from there most times anyway. Or headed to I-80 and west, so I can still go that way.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  10. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Good to see there's a TS in that area. I don't like going to Bandit, cause it's just too small and I'm always worried I'm going to wake up to a missing hood or bashed up headlight. The Wawa is always a mess, too, with truckers who don't want to park properly, plus that lot is posted for customers only.

Wonder if they'd be willing to put in a sclae if enough drivers asked for one?

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Good to hear that it's back open. As to whether it's a "good" truckstop or not, who cares? In that part of the country, any truckstop is a good truckstop (as long as they have coffee!)

Old drivers will know what I mean, new drivers will complain because there is no valet service.

shantyshaker12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.