Tri-Axle or Quad-Axle Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Asphalt Hauler, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Asphalt Hauler

Asphalt Hauler Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Hey Guys, I'm looking at two dump trucks rightnow,and was needing to know to go with a tri-axle or a quad-axle. One is a KW T-800 Tri-Axle with a 16ft. bed and 8 bag suspension,and the other is a Freightliner Classic XL Quad-Axle with a 17 ft. bed and 4 bag suspension,this truck had a sleeper and was converted to a dump truck if that makes any difference. Ill be hauling asphalt mostly,but during the winter ill be hauling rock and dirt mostly,and was wanting to know which of the two trucks would be better for hauling and more versitle. Im new with dump trucks. I have always pulled hopper bottom grain trailers,and i'm wanting to get into a dump truck now. Thanks for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gambler1976

gambler1976 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2012
    hubert,nc
    dont like dumps with bags my self

V8SuperDog and Asphalt Hauler Thank this.
  4. jumpup

jumpup Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Ashland, Va
    In Va. Quad is a must. More tons on your back the more you make. Most jobs want Quads or a 20 tons trucks.

Asphalt Hauler Thanks this.
  5. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Where are you located, in PA quad or tri doesnt matter both are good for 73280, I would personally be sure to check that the truck that was formerly a sleeper cab truck has been double framed.

I always was taught that sleeper cab tractors converted to straight trucks never worked out so well because they didnt have the heavy spec's, the axles are lighter, they are single framed, etc.

Asphalt Hauler and x#1 Thank this.
  6. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Stay away from ex-road truck. Specks too light, you also want at a verry least a 18 k front axle better 20 K. I have a dm Mack, 20 front 44 rears haul asphalt and can get 20 ton. Quads are better if hauling tonage than hourly. Look at quad to see what lift axles it has some are not rebuildable and when need king pins the hole axle will be replaced. You can pm me if you like with any questions you may have. Ill try to help you as much as I can.

Asphalt Hauler Thanks this.
  7. Asphalt Hauler

Asphalt Hauler Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks for the post's guys, im looking at a 9300 international tri-axle also. It says it is double framed,has 4.10 gears,and a eaton 8LL transmission. It doesnt tell the weights of the axles,or the dry weight of the truck. It also says it can haul 25 tons,which i think is a bunch of bull,but i could be wrong. Does this sound like i would need a H-tag or J-tag. I may be doing a little bit of dirt hauling with it also. I would like to get into a truck that good all around asphalt,dirt,gravel,etc. Or is there such thing. Thanks again guys,it really helps me out on picking a dump truck for me.

8. FCoricelli

FCoricelli Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Casper, Wyoming. USA
    Go with the Frieghtliner. The conversion has highway miles on it.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashport, Ohio
    Around here it's usually quads, 44k rears, floats on the front, power tarp preferred, flap jacks on the rear, no lip extension on the rear of the bed, at least 18" distance from the rear edge of the bed and the rear tires so the paver can push you along and still dump into the box...

Each job site has it's qwerks. Maneuverability is king, long nosed trucks kinda suck for this (and in general). Round-abouts suck period as far as keeping square to the paver..

I don't haul asphalt myself but have a few close friends who haul it and lay it. Been along for the ride a few times, etc.

10. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You'd be surprised on what some guys will put on a truck. When I drove Tri-Axles around here you loaded 30 tons with and empty weight around 30,000. There is a concrete company and some O/O's around here with massive rigs that run 120-130,000.

11. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Why would you not be running 46K rears or bigger?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.