Tri axle vs tandem lowboy

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ridlingdj, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Ok here's the situation I am stuck on I am a farmer in southern Florida and mostly stay in FL except for rare occasions I have found the brand lowboy and style I want but do I need a tri axle or tandem to haul my tractors the heaviest tractor that I would haul would be about 64,000 would there be any advantage to a tri axle I have only ever had tandems but I have also never had as big of tractors as we have now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Can permit higher weights with a tri, on a rgn if your hauling a bunch of different size units you could get a flip axle so it's tandem and tri axle. Figure out your max gross weight and work backwards from there to see if you need the triaxle

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can buy a year long over weight permit on a tandem axel and be set up?

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I don't know about FL, but in TN you can permit up to 115,000 lb gross on a 5 axle setup (tandem axle truck, tandem axle trailer), so you should be able to scale 64,000 lb.

The real deal is, you can usually haul roughly 40,000 lb with a 35 ton tandem trailer, before you need permits. With most 50 ton tri axle trailers, about 35,000 lb or less is all you can haul without permits.

How far and how often do you move your big tractors? Most people around here just road them from farm to farm. Talked to a guy a few months ago that had two dairy farms about 30 miles apart. That day they roading the silage chopper between farms.

Ruthless and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. Ridlingdj

Dec 12, 2018

We used to road our equipment alot but we have to move our equipment about 40 min truck drive down a divided highway which is still legal but you have semis running 75 mph on it and we dont want to tear up the rubber tracks on the big 9,000 series Deere tractors when they are 35 grand a side and the saftey aspect of running 20-25 mph on the road has us looking at lowboys

Ruthless and cke Thank this.
  7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    You need to find out what Florida will allow on a tandem, I have been there in a while and never been there with a tandem. I’m thinking they allow more than 40,000 but won’t swear to it. 64,000 is pretty light so if they’ll give you more than 40,000 I’d probably go with the tandem. If you’re ordering it the pin on 3rd isn’t a hateful idea.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  8. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    If I’m not mistaken Florida gives 44,000 on a tandem.

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Fla. Gives some stupid weights on a tandem group. If your not going out of state the tandem lowboy will do. I would buy a tandem hydro detach with the option for a third pin on axle. That way you can buy an pin on axle later if needed.

TripleSix and Ridlingdj Thank this.
  10. Ridlingdj

Dec 12, 2018
    The only time I would leave the state is if we bought something and I had to bring it home but I am looking at lowboys with a 30 foot well hydraulic detachment and aluminium pullout ag outriggers with solid oak deck boom try and solid front and rear decks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.