Trip planning question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by snowez, Jul 23, 2021.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    There's also this new invention called a GPS.

Rideandrepair, Brandt and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I used to either write it on the windshield in dry erase near a top or bottom edge or on a post it i would stick someplace handy. Still do for a lot of places that arent in the gps or are too new to be on the sat view.

Rideandrepair and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Just when you think you "have it in the books", I've found the first few miles of a pick up and last miles of a trip deserve ALL of your route planning. Normally, though, if you drive for a big company, they have detailed directions for sketchy locations.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Call the shipper for final mile directions. Also, others mentioned google satellite view but this is what you look for when you're on google satellite view - Are other semi trucks on that road? If the answer is yes, then chances are that road is good. Also look to see if the street is industrial and even if the street isn't industrial, look to see if there are other warehouses on the street. If you see any combination (including just 1 of these things) of semi trucks/warehouses with semi trucks/mechanic shops with semi trucks on the street then that street is 99% likely good for trucks. If residentials are in the area then you need to be more cautious and wary of heading down that road. Obviously keep your eye out for no truck signs but generally speaking that has always worked 100% well for me.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    A little carburetor cleaner on a paper towel will usually take off that permanent marker.

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    The way I did it is antiquated, but I always called the customer for directions. If I didn't have a phone number I Googled one.

I always planned my route before I went in, so if there was no number to be found I told my dispatcher I need trucl route directions before I went in and they would give me the customer's number. Usually, it was tue sales rep or account rep who would forward me to directions line and I would get them there; or a warehouse person who gave directions. Only, like three times did I never get directions.

Then I went to Google Maps and looked for the streets myself and did satellite to see if there were other trucks on that road.

8. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    We can request directions on Peoplenet.
    I follow them.No matter what my GPS tells me.

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It sounds like you are already ahead of your peers by coming here and asking. You aren't just expecting to "wing it." Which is good. No tool is going to be perfect, but the more the merrier. It can only help you in the end. And the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    What's a carburetor? :rolleyes:

11. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.