Trip planning

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, May 15, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    So I still have 3 driving hours available I’m 415miles away and must deliver by 10am.
    I could have kept driving but with the flow of traffic I’d be late. I made the decision to park, so I can leave at 1am drive my 7hours and be at the delivery on time.
    Does that sound ok or should I have kept driving? I’ve been off duty for an hour so it’s too late to fix but just wondering if my way is acceptable or “normal”

tinytim, austinmike and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i always got as close to the destination as possible. i checked truck stops locations in a book i had, you can use some sort of app these days.

i always found it better to be closer, than farther away. you never know what the weather will be like, or the roads, or accidents, if you have to travel longer.

also being closer, for my appintment, gave me more time later to get closer to my next destination. time management for me, meant getting as close as possible. never being several hours away.

you could have been at least 150 miles closer had you kept driving. giving you MORE time to get out of there, and on your way, to maybe a better paying load.

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Good call. You thought ahead so your load gets delivered on time.

5. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Except I’d be driving through major cities at rush hour, and dealing with the construction that’s going on. Losing time.
    For the previous 3 hours I was only able to drive 45mph, sometimes less.
    I stopped because I didn’t want to hit rush hour and lose a bunch of time.

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok.

i could care less the traffic, i drove.

i always got closer.

i was a driver.

and surprisingly, i was NEVER late in all my years.

something i can be and am, proud of.....i didn;t "hold a steering wheel"

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Then you obviously had large windows for appointments or can somehow warp time.
    If I tell you to drive from point a to b that’s 300miles and give you 6 hours to do it and you can drive 50mph it’s easy.
    But you hit traffic limiting you to 35mph how exactly are you going to get there on time?

I think you’re spending a lot of time behind a keyboard pretending everything is a perfect scenario.

meechyaboy, Lepton1 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Was you running with eld.
    I can see where if he used up his hours averegeing 20 MPH, then had to leave out 3 hours later in the morning, it could put him late.
    I myself always got as close as I could or even there if there was a place to park, but never had to deal with the eld thing either.

Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it's called, being a truck driver, not a steering wheel holder. i did my job. i did not complain (like you did) when my company gave me a local day run/deliveries.

as a truck driver, YOU DO THE JOB.

now, steering wheel holders, have all sorts of excuses. don't they...??

and read my signature....48 YEARS AND RETIRED......

10. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Yeah it’s an eld truck. I’ve made the mistake of driving till my hours were down to a few minutes then couldn’t be at my appointment on time despite being within half an hour to an hour.

Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  11. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I’m a realist is that back when you were snorting speed to stay awake? Or maybe just running two log books so you weren’t limited by HOS? Super truckers always comment without ever adding any useful insight.

DenBob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.