Tripac Evolution problems after oil/filters change

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by mhlvc, Jun 7, 2020.

1. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    Will do that and see what happens, thx
    Idk but I recently cleaned all my battery cables and put 2 new 200a and 250amp fuses there. Maybe I just need new batteries I guess. Its been 2 years since they were put on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    So the 2amp F17 fuse is supposed to be off? Replaced it with a new one and its still not lighting up

4. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    APU runs around 10minutes before turning off and showing the red triangle and ENG

5. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I have the pre Evolution Tripac on my truck. Tier 2 they called it. You said that you changed all the filters? Did you change the water/fuel separator filter?

If so, did you fill it up with diesel and bleed the system?

I just filled my water/fuel separator with diesel but didn't remove any lines.

My APU would run for a few minutes, shut off and pop the breaker on the main controller. The problem went away after 2 weeks and about 5 resets.

6. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    If your unit runs that long, you don't have a fuel or oil pressure problem.
    My bet is on the coolant side or a wiring that gets warm and soft and it's losing it's contact.
    Try to wiggle some wires as long as it's running. But be careful with the belts and open flywheel.

7. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    Have no idea when coolant was last changed. Was going to put fresh coolant when I serviced it but wasn’t sure how to drain it.

I did notice some oil (im guessing) under the oil filter that came out, too much oil?

Alao what wires am I looking at checking out, just the electrical?

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Some APUs are set up to use the coolant from the truck. The APU gets new coolant every time your truck gets new coolant.

There is probably nothing wrong with the oil filter, but make sure it is making contact with the sealing surface of the APU. Only tighten the filters with your hands. No tools. Clean the filter with a rag or shop towel so you can get a good grip on it.

Buy an inspection mirror and a good flashlight to get a good look at some of the wires that are hard to see. It’s also a good tool to inspect for leaks.

Attached Files:

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Here are the diagnostic procedures for the ENG code on the old model Tripac. You have a Tripac Evolution, but it may still be helpful.

Attached Files:

10. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    I tighted the fuel filter with a filter tool, but don't think I tighten it too much.
    Really the only way I can check all the wires is if I take off the panels because I cant see a lot with just the little panel that opens up, unless I get that mirror
    So when the APU stops working, what am I checking at exactly to see where theres a short.
    I have the inverter running along with the circuit breaker, not sure how it all even works together, since I never had both of those before.

And Im always getting Low voltage disconnect on my truck display for a few seconds whenever i turn the APU on even with the inverter running, Im guessing thats a bad thing?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  11. mhlvc

mhlvc Light Load Member

May 2, 2020
    I must've reset it 5-6x now. when it shuts off with the red triangle/ENG, turn off the APU outside, and then turn if off from the inside, Wait however long and then turn it on from the outside and then inside?
    Thats the reset procedure?
    Hasnt been working so far so Idk

Is there a way to connect the interface to a laptop with a USB? Would that show me the exact error code?
    Is there a Thermoking application out there that I can use with the laptop?

This #### is so frustrating, you change oil and filters and clean the APU to make it “work better”, and now it isnt working how it should, design is so ####

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.