Truck Drivers Training School

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Ohio Hillbilly in texas, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Ohio Hillbilly in texas

Ohio Hillbilly in texas Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Chandler,TX
    Thinking about going to truck drivers training with stevens.But not sure if i should commit.I am currently drawing unemployment through Ohio,but want to attend cdl school some where in Texas.I am worried about the contract...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    read here, you can find the answer

but remember, you can't make a wrong decision if you never make one in the first place!

4. Ohio Hillbilly in texas

Nov 25, 2011
    Chandler,TX
    Yes,yes,yes.This is very true.I am such a procrastinator....I'm thinking..... go ahead and slam some gears, and start a hat collection.I'll buy one from every state.Isn't that what truckers do?

5. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    not me.....I buy Harley Tee shirts :biggrin_25514:

wolfen Thanks this.
  6. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What part of the contract worries you?

7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Their full training cost will be more than others, about $6,000 with the school and lodging, and their contract is complex. You'll make weekly payments of about $50 for the school and lodging, resulting in full payoff in about 30-36 months. Less than that and you'll pay back a prorated sum of about $250 a month. Other starter companies will give you full payoff after 12 months, so it just depends on what you want and whether or not you can stay with them that long.

Injun Thanks this.
  8. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I have them on my list of potential employers, but I'm going to a community college instead of their internal school.

That way, I'm not "owned" by anyone starting out.

If you're drawing unemployment, ask your job center people about job training programs like WIA, etc. to pay for the school for you and go to an "independent" driving school, or perhaps even better, a community college.

9. Ohio Hillbilly in texas

Nov 25, 2011
    Chandler,TX
    Yes,I'm having a hard time getting any help from Ohio work force centers while living in Texas.I dont have a phone line and i am picking up some ones wi-fi that lives by me,so just sending e-mails back and forth (slowly of course.)The good news is i have about 6 more months to keep draw'n unemployment.Though i am determined to make something happen quick i have never been out of work during the holidays like this.

10. Ohio Hillbilly in texas

Nov 25, 2011
    Chandler,TX
    I am drawing $411.00 after taxes from unemployment.I wonder what my checks would be like after truck drivers training.That is when you receive your first check isn't it.If so,then i would then stop claiming weeks of unemployment at that time.Surely it cant be less than that..

11. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Depends on the company as to what they pay during orientation and training.

You'll have to look at the sites of the companies you want to drive for, most list their orientation and training pay in the "Student Drivers" benefits section.

I've seen companies list anywhere from $100 - 400 for orientation week and anywhere from $300-500/week during training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.