Truck Frame Stretching

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by thomas, Jan 1, 2009.

1. SLDT

SLDT Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    My husband stretches trucks. He stretched his to 315. His truck is basically a huge advertisement during the summer time and he performs stretch jobs during the winter. He does a great job and has references. If you would like to see picture of stretches that he has done please inquire at slowdust.transport@gmail.com and we will be happy to quote you. It may be next winter before we can get to you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLDT

SLDT Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Slow Dust Transportation stretches trucks during the winter months. To inquire please contact us at slowdust.transport@gmail.com for pictures and references.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I know this thread is 10 years old but here goes. Anyone know of a place in FL to get a quality frame stretch..? '93 FLD120 single axle. At one point this truck was being used as a toter, & was cut down & now only has a 59" cab axle. I'm trying to up grade my gooseneck hotshot for a 48' step.

Thinking the minimum kingpin setback I've seen is 12" on some Doonan's, & my math says that will smash into the bunk on tight turns. Is it worth it to stretch my truck, or possible to extend the apron out on the trailer & move the kingpin to only a 2"-4" setback with ~10" of apron sticking out front to cover the 5th wheel..?
    Could a good trailer shop even do this, or is it just some hair brained idea..? Thanks..

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I would not move the king pin up that short, it would put a lot more stress on the neck.
    I have stretched a trailer and moved the king pin forward, but I also added to the main frame when I did it, so as not to change the engineering.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    How much more room you need?? Is moving the 5th wheel back an option?

8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

I see what your saying about the extra leverage it would apply to the spetdecks gooseneck. I don't want to overload the neck. So maybe stretch truck frame for the needed clearance..

9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Personally I would stretch it enough that I could over hang off the front at least 3 feet and more like 5 feet of clearance to your headache rack. I had a light duty step for a while that had 3 foot pullouts on each end for autos and light trailers and such, once the tires were on the pull outs most bumpers would be another couple of feet. Even without pull outs, you will find front overhang handy at times running hotshot.

10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I really don't know.? Most of the steps I look at have 12"-18" kingpin setting. I don't fully understand how to calculate the dip swing clearance. I'm assuming 51" minimum for a 102" wide with a 0" kingpin, plus 1" for every inch of kingpin setback..?

The 18" is the most common so let's start with that.. 51+18=69" center of 5th wheel to back of bunk..?

Like I said my truck was shortened to be a toter at some point. I only measured 59" from bunk to center of my single axle. There is also only 20" of frame from center of axle to end of frame. Is it safe to run the 5th wheel behind the center of axle,? I always thought that would steal weight from my steer, which is already ridiculously light at 9500lbs full of fuel with forward mount tanks.. I'd rather be wrong about this because mounting the 5th back 9-10" does look doable.. Thanks for your help.

11. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    That's what I was thinking. According to the data plate in my glovebox the truck was born with 37" more wheelbase from the factory. If I went back out to that I have 8 feet bunk to axle. Even a trailer with a 24" kingpin would leave me 6 feet front of trailer to bunk. Plenty of room, but I don't know any good place to go for a frame stretch. Plus I thought they'd laugh at me spending $5-$6k on a $10k 27yr old truck..

12. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is only money. lol
    The only way to truly get the rig you want is to build it yourself.
    I have been thinking about stretching a 9400 international (who even thinks of that) and have gone so far as to buy another one, so I would only have to make one splice, and I haven't run that truck in years. lol
    There should be some shops somewhere in your area that builds water trucks,dump trucks, etc.
    They are usually the best bet for stretching one

13. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I'm going to pull the trigger on adding some wheelbase.
    How long is too long before a single axle looks really goofy?

Looking to move into a 48'-51' lo-pro drop deck..

Originally 210" wheelbase, set back fld120, ~40" bunk flat top ~8' cab to axle
    Truck currently sits on 174" ~5' cab to axle

Should I go back to the 8' cab axle at 210" or pull it out more?

Say 234" for a 10' cab to axle?

Or 258" for a 12' cab axle?

Or will the truck look silly with too long wheelbase & only one axle back there..? Opinions please, let me have it.. :pirate:

• Truckers Report Jobs