Truck Frame Stretching

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by thomas, Jan 1, 2009.

1. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    If you move the front axle to the rear you realize that it will add the amount of spread to your wheelbase. So if you got a standard 54' spread with 244 wheel base your just a little shy of 300 which you said you don't wanna go to crazy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Candyman1970

Candyman1970 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Saegertown, Pa
    Yes, you are correct, my friend. There are not too many old shakers out there that are worthy of a second look. I have been known to good against good logic and sometimes I beat the dog and sometimes the dog beats me. I would like to have the first shaker, in awhile, that is worthy of a second look. Not because I want people to say, " What the .....", but because it is actually nice. With a Century Class, that is a feat, but it is the only truck i have for now. By the way, I did know of your KW. That was the very first truck I drove, 83' W900 day cab.

4. Candyman1970

Candyman1970 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Saegertown, Pa
    Yes, you're correct. I should clarify. I was looking at this 88' Pete and he stretched his to 330. That is BIG.

5. Dylan

Dylan Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Boise, Id
    This is what you need :)
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how you would do the job without a frame drill.. especially if you are using the right steel.

6. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    A Good mag drill will also do the trick. Same thing, drill about the same size but u mount it off the frame with a magnet and its very strong

7. sandman1976

sandman1976 Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    if anyone wants to come to the carolinas,i can put u to the table with a good shop. u can get a 52" stretch for less than $6,000. if u have a heavy or lite drive train also makes a difference.

8. McDonoughTruckShop

McDonoughTruckShop Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2009
    McDonough Georgia
    The price will depend on a couple things. #1 how much is added , # 2 how new the truck is. I have added 10' and dbl framed it from the back of transmission all the way to the end of frame ,When bldg the big wreckers,All the way down to a 2' Stretch . If done right they should always have all 3 axles alighned to prevent bad tire wear. We also use huck bolts Instead of bolt . Bolts are ok If you use the right one's this is not a place to be cheap.

9. sandman1976

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    did u have to drill holes to mount those quarter fenders on ur trailer? i'm thinking of going to 300" wb,but how bad did it hurt ur fuel mileage?

10. sandman1976

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    i was considering stretching both of the petes,but i'm thinking that the long wheelbase is going to get me in a jam. u know every place u go is not going to have room to turn a rig that long around. who has found themselves in a jam with these long wheelbase tractors.

11. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Yikes. I guess they could either haul a dedicated lane or have drop yards with plenty off room.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.