Truck info for NYC.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I did NYC once a week for 3 years and loved it! But I've been at this for a few years and I figured out that sitting in a traffic jam in NYC was 10 times better than in LA! If you're on the NJPK or 95 at rush hour it's still not like any of the roads in LA! or Chicago! Even I 285 around Hotlanta with all the skirts and 95 out of Miami then what about Denver?

Just watch the signs, yellow and white! Yellow you just might not make it and white means when snow covered. See snow don't!
    Towns laid out on a grid pattern are so much easier to navigate as there aren't a lot of curves like most of the towns in the SE and NE and mountain areas! Yes, the streets are a little narrow but that tea party town of Boston is a pure nightmare to drive in along with anything north of that town, so, I Love New York!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    When i went there on the cross bronx, there was a HUGE sign in the median, AT THE CITY LIMITS, that says "Trucks - Use expressways, NOT PARKWAYS!" and has a picture of a low clearance sign. Come the heck on. Anyone who tops a truck after passing 12 signs warning them about the low clearance, and an overheight vehicle detector.....totally deserves what they got. And aren't there signs before you get on every parkway, that say "Passenger cars only"?, like, every single one...?

4. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    The only time i actually went into the city of LA (which is actually only a few square miles..), i was on my way to Daylight Transport, which is totally in the ghetto..it's like 3 blocks away from the Blue Beacon Truck Stop if that tells you anything. And since when are there truck stops in DOWNTOWN ...anywhere? totally weird. Anyway, i missed my exit because a car cut me off when i was trying to get over to the right lane, got off to get back on the other direction, couldnt figure out how to do that, got lost for hours, asked quite a few mexicans how to do anything, none of them had a clue, until finally i just had my codriver look at the LA map. One out of every 10 streets is on the map, and once we found one that was, we figured it out.. :) I was lost so bad that i was actually outside of the city limits almost the entire time.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    The good thing about driving in LA (Los Angeles) is there are no low overpasses and hardly any posted streets. Can you say "Happiness"?

6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    A rule to remember: There is a fold out city map for EVERY city out there! I have maps for most of the major metro areas out there and would NEVER go into NYC or Chicago, Atlanta or others with out a city map. Yes a computer map is OK but when you need it up close to your face screwing around with a mouse in traffic needing it in a hurry don't cut the mustard! You can always get a paper map at truck stops within 150 miles of the town AND they are tax deductible! Do NOT just rely on that Rand McNalley or computer as a city map ! Get the fold out paper map NOT the plastic Fast Map!
    There is a map for Chicago called the Low Clearance Overpass Map! It's a hard one to find but American Map make it and here is a link www.americanmap.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2874 You might have to fight for it at the truck stops but order it here and have it when you need it! This map is worth it's weight in gold and good directions! Too bad there is not one for NYC except for the link by the OP

Have fun but remember never go into a major metro area without a map! Sure you were given directions in but what about getting out if you came down one oneway street? HMMMM?

ihford350 and METALDOG Thank this.
  7. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Get the NYC one here: NYC truck route map
    They'll send you up to 25 copies of it for free.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Shhh! Don't tell anyone! You're gonna ruin my side buisness (selling those things at truck stops

Well it seems they make so much money off the tickets they get from wrong way drivers, they can afford to put up more signs.

9. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Haha, i just got my NYC truck route maps. Got two, figured id keep one for a spare. In hindsight maybe i should have requested the maximum of 25. heh. But, the funny part is it came with a brochure, "GOT STUCK?", showing multiple pictures of what happens when you go under 10'0 bridges. Great. Basically a 3 page brochure telling you what "no trucks", "passenger cars only", "no commercial vehicles", "low clearance 6'11" means. LOL link: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:BvmW4OlMGrMJ:www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trucks_nycarea_parkways_oct09.pdf+low+clearance+6%2711%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

10. dle

dle Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    ennis,tx
    I would not trust gps directions in NYC, even the truck version.

I thought I had seen a news story that NYC was getting ready to outlaw GPS' use by trucks in NYC.

I had a rather nasty experience in NYC and I don't accept any loads going there.

11. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    That's really sad, they are a useful tool that stupid people are giving a bad name for.

What "nasty experience" happened?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.