Truck Parking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by snowez, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I usually park at truck stops or one of our terminals if one's nearby (they often are). I parked on an on ramp one time. Really didn't like it. I'll do rest areas, but prefer a place where I can go in and get a cup of coffee in the morning. If I'm at a rest area, either have to break out my coffee machine, set it up, make the coffee, clean it up and stow it back away, or I have to tool down the road to the closest truck stop for my coffee.
    Anyway, you learn where to avoid parking at truck stops in time. One of the places you learn to avoid is being on the end of a row, such that a truck coming around the corner won't hit you. I drive a reefer, so I have additional considerations, like trying find other reefers to park next to if possible.
    But, if you get hit, you get hit. I've been lucky so far. Only once has anyone ran into me. On that incident, guy just hit my hood mirror. It's on a swivel, so it just popped itself out of the way. Put a small insignificant crack in the corner of the plastic. Guy was really sorry and was a nice guy. Had his wife and 2 really small kids with him in the truck. Anyway, I just helped spot him into that spot afterward and let it go. Feel for a guy who has a wife and kids with him. Importantly, he was profusely apologetic about it.

Speed_Drums and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Try to avoid pilot or loves. Mom and pops TA patrol seem to be marginally better. I still have a hard time sleeping if there’s an open spot next to me.

4. SamuraiTater

SamuraiTater Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Since no one else has mentioned it, take the necessary time to get centered and deep in the spot. Every time I see a $#*!!” parking job, off center or the nose of the tractor off to one side of the space, I think that driver is just asking to get hit.

As well, leave your parking lights on so you’re visible in the dark.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Two trucks, guess the drivers knew each other; parked and left a parking spot between them. They crowded the yellow line thinking no truck could park in that empty spot. That happened to be the only empty spot in the truckstop. I started backing in and one of them ran up to my truck yelling; "You're not going to try to park there are you; you can't make it." I said, "Ahhhh, there's plenty of room." I finished backing in and was dead center of the spot. Both drivers were PO'd because they thought they had created a safe space for their greedy selves.

Lonesome, Texnmidwest, xlsdraw and 9 others Thank this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    To avoid that issue, you'll have to be a little less reliant on the corporate truck stops. That's where the worst of the worst and inexperienced go. I do like sleeping on the on ramp personally. Most of the time I sleep at my delivery. On occasion that ain't possible, but the on ramp, certain rest areas, and side streets I prefer.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It's a problem wherever you park. A thought on parking at your terminal. The mechanic will park a truck after he works on it, how much experience does he have ? Also, a mechanic will wake you up if he decides your truck needs some kind of service. Can you say "fun times" ?

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You go ahead and park on the ramps. It'll leave me a spot at the truck stop.

Savor the Flavor and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    That straight back thing doesn’t work either
    I parked at a J that had maybe 8 spots that were straight back from the pumps and plenty of runway between them and the parking spots
    I was going to a resort for the weekend so waited for one of those to open so I could leave my truck and not worry

I was planning to go back to my truck early on Monday but decided to go Sunday night instead

Wasn’t in my truck 5 minutes before the guy parking next to me tore up the side of my conestoga

And he allegedly owned a business and a couple trucks

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I certainly will!! I left you one last night about midnight, I knew your were coming.

11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I never park close to midnight, that's usually when I am pulling out to start my day. I like to watch the vultures circling the Truck Stops between 0000-0200. Always wonder who gets my spot when I pull out. It's always a good one too. Easy in..... Easy out. I love my schedule! :D;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.