Truck problem??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by GyrrwrLori, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GyrrwrLori

GyrrwrLori Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I just got my truck last week, a 2007 Columbia with a 10 speed. It has almost 700k miles on it but seems to run good. However, I occasionally experience a problem where, at a dead stop, the truck will not go into gear. Doesn't matter which gear I try, with the clutch to the floor, it seems the rpms are just too high. Doesn't matter how much a fiddle with the clutch or the accelerator, the truck just will not go into gear. The only work around I found is to shut the truck off and start it up again. Things seem to slow down and away I go, but it takes awhile and leaves some upset drivers behind me. Is this a problem I should point out to the shop or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sixthgear11

sixthgear11 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2011
    myrtle beach, sc
    sounds like the rocker switch on the back of the accelerator is sticking

GyrrwrLori Thanks this.
  4. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Sounds like either the clutch isn't fully releasing or the clutch brake needs attention. Does the truck ever lunge forward when it does go into gear with the engine running?

GyrrwrLori Thanks this.
  5. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Yes, it does lunge on occasion. I figured it was just due to my noob shifting though.

6. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    When the gear you're going into grinds and then jumps into gear and the truck lunges forward it indicates that the clutch isn't releasing properly. It could be adjustment or clutch replacement time.

7. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Gears 1-5 grind badly. I know I am new at this, and not overly experienced, but I am finding it nearly impossible to not grind 1-5. 6-10 doesn't grind at all. Never had this problem during school. When I was with my trainer, his truck was an automatic, so I figured I was just rusty. Maybe I should the shop a call.

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I'm speaking of low and reverse gear, the gears that you shift into when at a stop. This would have no effect on 2-5 or 6-10 if you float the gears in.

I would request a clutch adjustment first and also verify clutch brake integrity. The clutch brake would only mask the problem temporarily until it gave up. You need the clutch itself to release properly to correct the problem your having.

9. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks, Bender. I do have the most trouble getting the truck into 1st, 2nd and reverse. I will give the shop a call in the morning. Thanks again.

10. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I really should have included 2nd as a possible gear selected when not moving as it is often used over low or 1st. Good luck!

GyrrwrLori Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.