Truck searches by DOT

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Nov 26, 2012.

1. d_man

d_man Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I have heard about truck sleepers being randomly searched by the DOT and police. Is this legal and why do they do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    They can't search without a signature unless they have a good reason.. They normally look for drugs. Some get spewy stains over radar detectors and guns but most are just looking for illegal substances. They search because it's a commercial vehicle.

4. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    A truck sleeper cannot be "searched" without permisson of the driver, or a search warrant. However, any DOT certified inspector may go into the sleeper to check for compliance with FMCSA regs, such as proper bedding and required restraints. They are not allowed to open any cabinets or drawers, as that would constitute a search, but they can look at anything covered in the FMCSR.

Pmracing, awbro and Already There Thank this.
  5. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    Incorrect, sir.

6. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    autocar is that an 8 inch howitzer in your picture???

7. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    can you tell me what proper bedding consists of ??

8. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    UR AGO IN WALTEN KY.I 74 ..DOT& STUDENTS SERCHED THE HOLE INSIDE OF MY TRUCK..ON A LEVEL ONE INSPECTION..THWY DID NOT ASK ME SHI. LOL..I HV NOTHING TO HIDE..BUT IF I STOOD THERE TRYING TO TELL DOT WHAT THEY CAN AND CANT DO..CHANCES R..U ,,WOULD BE F.... DOT rules ...LOL

9. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    been though countless DOT inspections
    the only reason they ever looked inside my truck was to check the fire putter-outter and triangles...thats it... EVER...inside the vehicle.
    now on the out side is another story fine tooth comb and them little creepers to make sure they didnt miss anything underneath
    Border Patrol looks inside just to see if I have any one else with me...never a problem.

10. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    8 inch self proppelled.

11. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    Per 49CFR393.76(e)
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.76
    (e) Equipment. A sleeper berth must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include: (1) Adequate bedclothing and blankets; and(2) Either: (i) Springs and a mattress; or Code of Federal Regulations449

(ii) An innerspring mattress; or(iii) A cellular rubber or flexible foam mattress at least four inches thick; or(iv) A mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness when filled to prevent "bottoming-out" when occupied while the vehicle is in motion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.