Truck setup for flatbed but...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by selftaughttrucker, Jul 24, 2017.

1. selftaughttrucker

selftaughttrucker Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
    hello I just bought My first truck
    2004 freightliner columbia 120 with a detroit 60 14l 10 gears and 3.58 rear 230 wheelbase it has 1102836 the motor was rebuilt in 2015. I paid $7500.

The truck is setup for flatbed. It has a headache rack with all the chains etc. a generator box and extra toolbox mounted on the side.

The thingis I want to try my hand at containers first. Would I still be able to haul containers with the headache rack on the back.
    Thanks for feedback. This maybe a stupid question....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You absolutely can pull cans with that truck, sounds like the perfect truck to do so.

Lepton1 and selftaughttrucker Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not trying to sound like an ahole or anything, but...
    If you don't know the answer to that basic of a question what makes you think you are not paying to work (i.e. you will never make money).
    You really should learn the industry before trying to strike out on your own.

nightgunner, bigguns and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  5. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Right on!Sounds like a really nice set up.As been said-you sure can put a box on that set up.No worries-just watch if you ever have to slide the 5th wheel all the way forward.Yes sir-you are versatile-get done pulling boxes,jump into flat,as you have the equiptment.
    Just lock everything up.Good luck to ya.

selftaughttrucker Thanks this.
  6. selftaughttrucker

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
    I only have food service experience as a company driver. And I never went to school. Always been local. SO, I figure I will learn the different segments as I go and see what I like. I will make money bc I got low overhead.

HopeOverMope and RStewart Thank this.
  7. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Just pull the rack off and get rid of the extra weight. If you have somewhere to keep it you might want it in the future, if not sell it.

Ayoungin205 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Don't use the "I have low. Overhead"
    As a reason to haul for cheap.
    Smart...low overhead...more profit...
    Good luck.

TripleSix, blade, Lepton1 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. selftaughttrucker

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
    Update things have been up and down. After the first week I had to replace the radiator and some CAC conponents. $4000 It took about 2 weeks bc they had to order the parts. That was over a month ago since then everything has ran smoothly. I ended up hiring a driver and I am still working for a company since I make north of 130k. I plan on buying 2 more trucks and getting my authority by March 2018. I have driver lined up already. I have a direct customer that is just waiting on me. Im really excited about the up and coming year. Im sure it will be ups and downs and thats ok with us.
    My plan is pretty solid. What are somethings that I should be preparing for? Im going to start another post focusing on my journey.

Lepton1, Justrucking2 and Gunner75 Thank this.
  10. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Good luck and best to you.

selftaughttrucker Thanks this.
  11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    What type of hauling are you doing as a company driver making great income as you are?

whoopNride Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.