Truck stop observations

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Mar 28, 2016.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I was at the Loves in Baytown Texas yesterday and when you have four truck stops at same exit you get a chance to hear quite a sampling of different radios, both good and bad. First the bad, a driver was boasting how he paid 4 g's cb shop ( located in Velaro lot) $230.00 for a peaked and tune Cobra 29 withe echo and talkback added plus two Francis attennas. It was clear that the radio (IMO) was overmodulated,distorted and anything but clear. Next up was a driver bragging about how his Galaxy 98vhp was doing 400 watts because his cb guy showed him on his meter so it had to be true, and how he had to keep his rf power and mic gain down( yea so it doesnt squeal like city boy in Deliverence) or else it was overmodulated( you think) . now for some good a driver pulled into Flying J asking if 4g's cb was open because he wanted to peak and tune his Bearcat 980 because he was only getting out about 3 miles. Thankfully they were closed and after talking to him and finding out his attenna setup on a new cascadia( were all more than familiar with that delima) I convinced him it was not his radio, save his money, and address attenna. I actually told him to check out this forum and read some of the posts, because there is enough of them. When he left going east I was able to talk to him for 5 miles so it wasnt as bad as he thought it was and his 980 sounded so much better than those other two previous radios and it was stock. And finally best sounding radio was a Galaxy 99 ( not the new v2 the original) and the driver said all he can remember having done to it was an alignment and conversion. That radio was crystal clear ,good modulation paired with an older Roadking 56 sounded awesome. Lesson learned run as close to stock as possible and happy cbing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's even funnier when you drive away from the truck stop and the guys who spent the least amount of money for their Radio setup are usually the ones that talk the farthest whether they realize it or not and the guys who spent the most amount of money are generally the guys with the worst performance

x1Heavy, stacks, Blaskowitz and 6 others Thank this.
  4. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I guarentee that peaked and tuned Cobra 29 will fade out sooner then the 980

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Depends who tuned each

6. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    The 980 was stock and as I stated the 29 was peaked and tuned by 4G' s, I cant say factually that the 29 had the limiter removed but the way it sounded that would be my guess.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I was one of those people with the clipped limiter, thinking I had a big radio, back when I started with my first CB. Whenever I had an extra $30 burning a hole in my pocket, I was at any CB shop that had time to take a look, mod, super-mod, super-duper-mod. I was the only person to ever have a cobra 25 with echo pushing 50watts. NOT! But I sure felt like I was the shiznit, only cause I never had to listen to what it sounded like on the other end.

I was a sucker. Until a good CB repair asked me how many "techs" have messed with this POS? He showed me all the ugly hacks, and on an oscilloscope he tried to give me a visual of what a mess I, and the "techs"<--hacks, have made. I thought he was a total arse, but gave me another radio to listen to while, he was inside the shop with mine. I was the arse, and I feel bad for everyone that had to listen to what sounded like broadcasted from inside the engine compartment, and all the people 20+ channels away.

That was before internet forums; Take heed my friends, these guys here know what they're saying.

8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    That's why I am here... Learn from the mistakes of others and don't waste my money. Thanks.

9. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I made the mistake once of buying a cobra 29 ltd classic with the swing kit mod from GI Joes ,in lexington Ky, boy I thought I was the cats meow until I sold it to a another driver that I worked with, and when he hooked it up and talked it was complete garbage, I promptly took the radio back and gave him his money back and told him to wait and buy something else. The kicker is I cant tell you how many drivers said that radio sounded good, I truly believe that there are so many bad sounding radios out there that alot of drivers think that is normal and that is how they are suppossed to sound, sad, at least the swing kit was able to be taken out and the radio was tuned properly inside the flying hook ln lowell In by Howard. Live and learn I guess.

Turbo-T, Ougigoug, Blaskowitz and 3 others Thank this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I had a magnum S9 worked on by a guy named Howard in Hebron Indiana and I told him specifically where I wanted the dead key set at 8 watts and I wanted the peak set at 32 watts to keep it clean and he kept wanting to crank it higher and I told him I didn't want it cranked any higher but when he did it the way I told him to do it I got a lot of compliments from it how it sounded. I'm assuming it's the same guy

11. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Yea rabbi same guy exit 240 on I 65, your right Hebron not lowell, from my experience with him is that he is very good with basic single final AM only radios never had him tune or work on a 10 meter export.

Blaskowitz and darthanubis Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.