Truck stop observations

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Mar 28, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I suspect he has some sort of formal training. Unfortunately I think he caters to what his customers want which is over modulated distorted sounding audio. The customer should never have to tell the technician how to make adjustments.

Blaskowitz and darthanubis Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I love Howard's work, and the person himself is solid. I can't say he is better than so and so, but he has done me right many times.

4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I would agree he Is better than most. 10 times better than SteelRod also.

slim6596, darthanubis and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  5. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    I'd say 98% do not realize how far they may be getting out because the same 98% don't know that a radio can be tuned for better rx. I was that 98%. If I'd have known this info a few weeks ago I'd likely not have spent the $$ on the 98vhp. Of course, I'm not going to ditch it though. The power will likely come in handy at times, especially once it's clean.

Once i get it back and If you have a base, maybe we can set up a time and I'll try to reach you from watkins glen, NY when I'm there.

6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    When I had Howard tune up a Galaxy 929 , several years ago, he told me that he doesnt remove the limiter instead he bypasses the circuit, isnt the end result going to be the same as removal, possible overmodulation and distortion? The radio sounded really good and I normally kept the mic gain at 3:00, the only thing I didnt like was he said that he did a receive enhancement and after that it seemed that I always had about 3lbs of white noise and would have to cut back the RF gain because the NB/ANL was worthless on that radio to begin with.

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Most guys with stock radios are totally clueless about how far their signal is transmitted. I used to have 2 way conversations at 30 miles mobile to mobile with guys running stock Cobra 29 and they couldn't believe how far their radio was reaching out. The only reason they were able to hear me is because I was running power to compensate for their crappy receive.

darthanubis and Evvy Thomas Thank this.
  8. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I realize your Galaxy and my Magnum are different animals, but I questioned his work also for the same reason (my first time letting him open any of my radios). I always had to run RF gain at 1/2, afterwards 1/4 turn everything above seemed to drown out the voices in static. I took it back and magically it would listen to ends of the earth, totally clean on the bench. What I found was, he did a fine job, the problem was my truck...

I broke down and parked on shoulder in a mud puddle and again that same magic happened. Then asked around and found it had something to do with my wheel hubs and synthetic lube not conducting or discharging the static. I still don't understand how or why, but if that sounds anything like your issue I'm sure someone here can explain it.

BTW I tested this theory with a bungee cord touching ground to pavement. My solution was graphite in front axle hubs, or drain hubs and replace with ordinary 90w.

darthanubis and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I agree Dude ,I remember reading an article a while back about that, the static is worse on concrete, the gets better on asphalt, even better on new asphalt, totally disappears when raining or road is wet, and again disapears when applying the brakes, so I know the static is coming from front wheel hubs, but I was only saying that after receive enhancement the static level increased from 1lb to 3lbs, almost like turning on a preamp on an amplifier. Im a company driver so Im not at liberty to use graphite powder in the hub oil but I would like to try some ground straps but they would need some metalic chips in them to be effective wouldnt they, just hanging rubber straps wouldnt work, or would they.

rabbiporkchop and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    My favorite time for using the radio is when it's raining heavily

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  11. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    http://www.mizter.com/

TheDude1969 and wolverine11 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.